Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Day of her Valentine's Party

We were so excited for June's little Valentine's Party the day before Valentine's Day. June seriously talked about it all week, how she couldn't wait to give her friends their valentine's and to have "special treats". She was so excited! 

The day finally came and June's little friends would be here soon. 

As I was setting up, June was having a hard time staying out of the treats. I had to keep refilling the bowls, she was loving it!

We had a little bit of "princess time" before her friends would arrive. She has the little dinosaur from 'Toy Story' be the monster blocking the princesses and she has Buzz and Woody come and save them, over and over again. 

She was acting completely fine, but you can see in her little eyes that she just wasn't feeling herself. 

10:30 came and so did our friends. June ran to answer the door to greet all of her little guests. As soon as they walked through the door though, June got awfully quiet and all of the sudden just wanted to lay down.
She laid like this for a while and then said that she wanted to go to bed. I took her to her room and she fell asleep for the remainder of the party. It was so sad. 


While June slept, the little festivities continued. We played with toys and then had special treats, and exchanged Valentines.


 June has the cutest friends, and so do I! 
Emma and Amanda

It really was a fun little Valentine's party, but I was so worried about my poor little June bug! I have such great friends who were willing to do anything they could to help with Owen or help me make sure June was ok!

I'm so glad I had Owen as my Valentine that morning. He definitely is out numbered by all these girls. 

After a fun filled morning, all of June's little guests left and poor little Owen got put back in his swing, and my full attention was turned to June. 
She felt hot again, so I grabbed both thermometers, and checked the armpit, forehead, and ear. All were above 102 degrees. At this point I had had it. I didn't even call the nurse line, I just called and made an appointment, telling them I would explain when I got there. 
Unfortunately, June's original pediatrician was out of town, but I was so grateful to get in with another partnering doctor. I called Dan and he met me at the doctors office. 


Before I continue let me give a little back story... 
Mother's Intuition: 
 It's kind of funny, because just the night before, June was still coughing so bad, I thought her lungs were going to explode... After getting her calmed down from another cough attack, I walked out and turned to Dan and said "I can't help but feel that there is just something else wrong with June, it has nothing to do with this cold or cough, but I just feel that there is something that we are missing." I remember thinking back to a week ago when we went to the doctor yet again and I prayed so hard for Heavenly Father to please just help me know what is wrong with my daughter. How can I make her feel better, I just knew something else was wrong. After that I had this sick feeling in my stomach for the rest of the week. Ask Dan, He will tell you how worried  I was about it. So it was beyond weird that the next day, June spiked another fever. 

A friend of mine from June's party told me to always trust my instinct. To trust a mother's intuition and that it can't fail you. She was absolutely right! 

So We go to the doctor and we are there for 2 hours running test after test to try and figure out what in the world is going on with her poor little body, but every test was coming back negative. It was sounding like we weren't going to get an answer and just hope the fever goes away like it did last time, but I just couldn't shake the feeling that this fever had nothing to do with this cold, or virus in her lungs...

My sister thought that maybe it's a bladder infection, because her little girl has gotten them before and that explained the random fever, but June had no other  symptoms of a bladder infection, so I didn't know whether to bring it up with the dr. or not, but I just couldn't hold back anymore, so I asked...

I told the doctor that I wanted to rule out a bladder infection, that I would like to have her urine tested. She looked at me kind of funny, and asked me if she was having any symptoms besides the high fever. I told her no, but I still would like it to be done. She then told me that it really wouldn't be necessary, since there is really nothing that is showing a bladder infection, and that we would have to test her urine, and that can be difficult for a toddler to pee on demand like that. I didn't care. I got a little firm, maybe a little over protective and absolutely requested for a UTI test. She said ok, if we can get June to pee in the bowl than we can do it. 

I took June into the Bathroom and she was fighting me on not having to go. I got a little teary eyed and just pleaded and begged with her to just try and tinkle a little bit. I was giving her anything she wanted, still no. So, I told June that we were going to say a little prayer to help her go pee. we kneeled together on the bathroom floor and June helped me say a little prayer, and as weird as this might sound, the second we said Amen, She told me she needed to go potty. Our prayer was answered and I knew Heavenly Father was there watching over us. She wasn't even scared of the little bowl. She peed right in it and we were able to collect a urine sample. 

The doctor walked in with a shocked look on her face and said her urine is full of bacteria and we are sending it off to the lab to be tested. She told me that my mother intuition was spot on and to always trust it. (I just want to say I love my ped. office and all the doctors there, this was just a weird situation, because she had no other signs of a bladder infection besides the fever, which we thought was being caused by June's nasty little virus.)

A huge sigh of relief came over me, like we solved the mystery. I felt proud for being so pushy and fighting for something I wasn't even sure was really there. 

We got an antibiotic for June and we get the test results back on Monday. We are hoping it is just a UTI and no other permanent damage is done... 

June's fever is staying down and we are hoping it's because this antibiotic is kicking this UTI out the door. I just want June to feel better and be her normal little self again, and the antibiotic seems to be doing that. 

So her Valentine's party didn't really go as expected, but I just have to be so grateful that our prayers were answered and that we seem to finally be feeling better. 



1 comment:

Cisneros Family said...

So sad!! You can just tell she doesn't feel good! I'm so glad that they started her on an antibiotic and that she is feeling better! Poor little June!