Friday, January 26, 2018

Certified Yoga Teacher 200 Hr

I started doing yoga a little less than two years ago. I didn't even own a mat. A friend told me to come to this yoga class with her. I went and instantly fell in love. I'm not saying I was good at it, but things did come naturally to me. It was low impact for my joints and I actually got a workout. From then on, I was getting a regular yoga practice in three days a week. Then it became an everyday thing. Then it just grew into this passion that I couldn't stop. 
I then was approached by the yoga teacher to see if I was at all interested in teaching yoga. I NEVER thought about it and really just wasn't interested at the time. I was so new to yoga and thought how could someone like me teach?! 
The thought never left my mind. I had a million reasons why I couldn't do it with kids, husband and church, so I put the thought out of my head. As my yoga practice continued and progressed I knew that it was something I really wanted to pursue, but just truly didn't have the courage to do it. I was scared. Really scared. 
Then we moved and I learned that the next YTT was going to be super close to our new house. It was my first sign I needed to do this. I pushed it off some more because I knew the trainings were on Sunday and I had a hard time justifying missing church that much. Then we met with our Bishop for the first time because we were new and explained the situation. He was incredibly understanding about it and at that moment it all just felt right. Even when I was called in Young Women's they completely worked around my schedule. I couldn't believe it. I felt like this was all just falling into my lap. Second sign. Then Dan REALLY REALLY STRONGLY told me how much he supported it and how he really wanted me to do it. I was hesitant but knew how he felt. Sign three. Now YTT is not cheap by any means. We just bought a house and had to furnish it, but somehow we ended up with extra cash on hand that it worked out where the financial part wouldn't be a bother. My last sign. I knew if I didn't do it now, I never would. 

I sent in my application and waited patiently to be accepted into the fall 2017 program. 

I had a couple of months before training started but then it all came so fast and I was about to start my training.
It was every other Sunday for 12 hours. 7am-7pm. 
Then in the months December and January it was every Sunday until graduation day. 

It was really intense and I can truly say, life changing. I grew so much in myself and learned more than I thought coming into this yoga training. I never expected to grow so much in my thinking and my perspective on life. 
I cried a lot. I opened up a lot. I became strong, and I obviously learned proper technique in yoga and how to teach a class. I'm learning how to better myself and better others. We had multiple workshops, we had three final tests and had to generate income. It was a lot. But worth it! 

It was an incredible experience and I came out the other side much more different than I thought I would. 

My yoga teacher Joseph Stingley and my beautiful Yogi Sisters. We started out with 15 girls and we graduated with 12 of us. These girls will always be a big part of my life. They loved me and supported me through this whole process. It's crazy how complete strangers can become so important in your life. 


After all our finals we broke a geode so we each could have a piece. Meaning we are all cut from the same rock but all so different. 


I am so incredibly grateful to Dan who man handled the kids at church and all day long. He has been so amazingly supportive through it all. He even became my practice buddy and let me lead him through classes while I was studying for my tests. He's the best!!! 






So now I am officially a certified yoga teacher. I can teach anywhere in the world that I choose. Things are coming along in that department of what I plan to do. I am really optimistic and happy with how it should all turn out.  I think. Haha 

All in all this was such a fantastic experience. It changed my yoga practice and my life. I am so grateful for all I learned and hope to continue to practice it all from here on out. 



No comments: