Sunday, August 24, 2014

The First School shopping trip

School shopping was always a big deal with my sister's and mom. It actually started with my older sister's and girl cousins, along with my mom and aunt, driving down to Utah for a weekend and literally spend all weekend shopping. When I was at "the right age" (meaning old enough to last all day without whining... no whining was aloud.) I got to go and it was the best day of my life up to that point when I was told I could go. I think this is how I got my long windedness of shopping and where I learned to love it! The boys would stay home and do manly things.  It was so much fun. Then when we got home, we would put on this never ending fashion show for my dad. He was always such a good sport about it all. Always telling us how pretty we looked or which outfit was his favorite. He rules. It was something we looked forward to every year before school. 

The school shopping tradition carried on through all of the Mendenhall granddaughters. We still try to get together as much as we can to go school shopping. It obviously doesn't happen every year, but it's great when it does. 

It's definitely a tradition that I want to carry on with my children. And since June is starting Preschool this up coming week, I thought I might as well start now! 
I wanted it to just be her and I. So when Dan came home Friday afternoon we took off. 
We first went and had lunch. I told her she could choose wherever she wanted and all she wanted was a corn dog, so we went and ate in the car at Sonic. I moved up to the front seat with me and we had a little lunch to fuel us for our all day shopping trip. 


It was great spending the day with just June.
She did great shopping for the first couple of hours. She loved trying on random things and picking out her lunchbox, backpack and clothes for this school year. 

We shopped the entire mall. Towards the end she was getting worn down, but I had the stroller for such a thing, so she was able to ride in there while we walked around. 

I love this little lady. 

We went into Target after the mall. She was so excited to be riding in front where Owen usually rides.  

I sent this picture to my mom, telling her not to worry, that I'm properly measuring her shoe size. I remember my mom doing this with EVERY shoe any of us ever tried on. It made me miss my mom. 

June starting laughing about these cowboy boots. She really wanted them.. Thankfully they didn't have them in her size. hahaha we could have ended up walking out with pink boots for shoes. 

After we finished Target, June was worn down to the core. She was basically falling asleep in the shopping cart, so we called it a day. I told her she could pick out a treat since she was so well behaved. I told her she could pick between a treat or a toy. All she wanted was a treat. So we got her some skittles and she was a happy girl. 

I do understand that it's only Preschool, that she won't remember these trips, or that I might take things to the extreme... but it's not just memories for her, it's for me as well. I want to know I did everything I could, from day one to make moments special, even if all she knows about it, is reading it in our blog books many years down the road. I love traditions, and what they mean. It may be over the top, but I would rather it be that way than not doing anything at all. It may be a little work, but its work well worth the time. 

This day represents the many days to come of school shopping and trips with June and who knows... maybe more little girls to come. 

2 comments:

Cisneros Family said...

Those pink boots are hideous!! June is the best. Next year we are planning our school shopping trip in Denver for sure!!

Rasmussens said...

I love that you took her!!!! I'm with michelle!!!! Next year in Denver.