Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Her Name and Her Nursery

I first want to thank everyone for the phone calls, messages and comments about my last post. I am feeling much better and beyond excited to get her here and ROCK motherhood!

I am excited about this blog post. I don't know why I waited so long to share what we are going to name our little girl since we have had the name picked forever, and the majority of you already know, but I thought I would tie it in with the nursery blog since you will see her name in block letters above her crib. I know, name above the crib? How original... Well SHUT UP we like it! :)

We are naming her: JUNE LORETTA LANCASTER

She will go by June. Dan has had the name picked out since we found out she was a she. We went through a million names and no other name was good enough. It grew on me over time and now I can't picture a better name. I think its cute he named our first child. We get a lot of compliments on it and a lot of weird looks but we love it! Loretta is my grandma Mendenhall's middle name. We wanted to keep some type of family name going and it has a nice ring to it! I'm stoked to get it printed on that birth certificate and make it official.


THE NURSERY:

It is finally finished with one week to spare. Of course there are a few tweeks here and there that we want to finish up but for the most part the nursery is done.

We pretty much made or re-made everything in her room and we laugh at ourselves because she won't even be sleeping in there by the time we move so really we decorated for ourselves and it kept me busy during the summer.

I took a bunch of idea's from different nursery's that I saw online and made it our own little creation. The colors are random, yet organized and I feel like that portrays the type of people we are. :)

Let's take the tour.

When you first walk in this is the view you get. Our second bedroom is massive. It's bigger than our bedroom upstairs so we had a lot to play with.

The crib wall. See "June in Wood blocks" this is her crib which she won't be sleeping in for a while but it's still cute! It's a good thing we hung her name above the crib just in case we forget her name.. The quilt, fitted sheets (4), crib skirt, and changing pad cover are all homemade. Nothing in stores was what I wanted and I love that it's one of a kind. Back in Rexburg was where we made her bedding. LOTS of help from my mom and sister's!! We saved a TON of money doing the bedding ourselves. In the end we saved over $200.00 for the bedding. For us that's a lot of money. We decided against the bumper pads simply because we have read a lot about how they can suffocate a child and plus I think it gives it a cleaner look! I am very pleased how it turned out! Don't worry I know to take out all stuffed animals and pillows in the crib. There should be nothing but a baby. See I can do this.

This it what is on the sides of her crib. To the left we have her rocking chair, hanging stars (Which Dan and I made over conference weekend), her laundry hamper, and my favorite painting, The Four Dancer's by Dega. Dan actually got that painting for me when we were dating because he knew it was my favorite. I don't think he planned on having it hung in our little girls room 4 years later!

The right side is her diaper pail, an old rack we had that Dan painted blue, and a white shelf Dan painted orange. I can't wait to get real pictures in the frames instead of the model babies...


THE OTHER WALL
Since we only have two bedrooms right now we kept the desk in there and it actually filled some space that otherwise would have looked off kilter. We made it as baby as possible without going over the top. Yes the mobile in the corner is hanging sideways a bit, but its because of the ring not how it was hung. I did the hanging so Dan doesn't believe me but still I can't fix it. The alphabet was all Dan. He made that happen and I think it turned out perfect for her room.
The left side is the desk (Obviously) and a mobile that I made thanks to pinterest. I made it more my own than what they had me doing but it still turned out pretty cute and its back in the corner so no one can see it to closely. My sweet Ikea lamp is a dimmer which will be super nice for those dark nights. I'm pretty sure it's a curse to have Ikea so close to where we live.

The other side of the wall is actually a whine rack that I got for $20.00 when Dan and I got married. He has hated that thing from day one simply because we really had no use for it and its heavy to move. When you have moved as much as we have I'm sure it gets really annoying. :) Poor guy. Now he loves it. He painted red and its super convenient for holding our million and one swaddle blankets, and burp cloths along with her other little goodies.

THE BURP CLOTHS
So in Rexburg we made a bunch of burp cloths. They looked super easy and super fast to make so we did a ton of them. When I got home and started washing all of June's things I pulled the burp cloths out of the dryer. Some turned out great.....

and other's didn't quite make it. I'm still learning my sewing skills...


That is the nursery. I wish you could see it in person, its much better but pictures will have to do for now. I had so much fun putting this nursery together and I must say Dan did a lot of the work. Probably more than I did, I just had it pictured in my mind.

Well Unless I have another mid-night crisis I think this will be the last time I blog until she gets here which we are hoping is so soon!! I hope you like her name and her nursery. If you don't keep it to yourself! HA HA XOXO

4 comments:

Stamp With Linz said...

She's a lucky girl! The room and name and lovely- as she will be, no doubt!

Marcy Cheney said...

What a clever idea to do with a wine rack...the blankets rolled into the bottle racks is adorable. I love the originality of this nursery, and her name. I love you and Dan and know that parenthood will be an amazing adventure for you both. You had great teachers in your Mom and Dad. Can't wait to meet little June bug.

Anonymous said...

I was going to say - that is such a nice large space! That would be great to have once she starts moving and needs space to play, but I guess you guys are moving?
I love her name, and her nursery is very cute and unique! Good job you guys. I love the hanging stars.
I had to laugh when you told us you know to take the stuffed animals out of the crib haha. Here's something that I learned after having a baby...all of the hype about bumper pads and no blankets yada yada...don't worry about it too much. My biggest thing is that as long as I kept an eye on my baby (especially through the video monitor) there's no need to worry. I was worried about the bumper pad at first too, but I am so glad we've kept it because with how much my baby moves...she would have bumped her head or gotten twisted up in those slats countless times. Plus it helps keep her binky in the crib for when she needs it. Just use your best judgement once June arrives, you'll know what works best for her.
(You'll learn anyway once you have them swaddled and on their backs for sleep as newborns...you could have 50 toys in there and they won't come in contact. They don't move much haha)

Celia said...

Everything looks great! I am so excited for you. You know all those feelings you are experiencing are normal and you'll be just fine. For me parenthood was really the next step of growing up and things do change but gradually and is almost like a natural process.
You and Dan have a great solid relationship and that is the key to a good start in this adventure. Good luck with everything and can't wait to meet your baby girl.