Monday, March 18, 2013

Car and now 2



    So here Dan and I are, feeling so luxurious because we finally have two cars. It feels pretty darn nice. Don't make fun, you people with two cars. You have no idea how hard it is to juggle a car between two people who have two different schedules.. you get creative, and sometimes a little crabby. 


We moved to Texas with just Dan's car, and that was a piece of crap in it's self, but we drove it for a good solid year. He owned that car. So no payments. Then Dan got an internship up in Oklahoma over the summer and we had to get two cars, so he could drive up there and I would have one.  As much as we hated doing it, we gathered up what we could, slapped a down payment on a Santa Fe and have been paying that car off ever since. Once Dan got home from his internship we donated Dan's car to the kidney foundation. Like I said it was crap and really needed to go the day we got married, but we made it work.

One car suited our life style for a long time. We enjoyed driving with each other, and I worked so close to home that I could walk or ride my bike. It made things less expensive while we were finishing up Grad school. 

Even when we moved up here to Dallas I was pregnant, lived in walking distance of basically EVERYTHING and Dan worked about 10 minutes away so taking him and picking him up from work wasn't to much of a bother. I liked the morning chats and just sitting together in rush hour, yelling at people, honking, and Dan looking the other way of embarrassment.... Ah fond memories.

Then June comes into the picture. Things still are working with one vehicle pretty good. You don't really go many places with such a tiny little thing, so my options were limited, we would walk to the park, or have friends come over, but really no need for a car.

We moved a bit further away from Dan's work when we bought our house, and slowly but surly sharing a car became more and more of a problem and a pain. We really did make it work for a long time and I am super proud of us, but it was getting hard to wake June up at 6:30 in the morning to take Dan when I needed the car and only having the car about 2 times a week. (It get's old, trust me) 

I felt bad mostly for June. Staying in the house all day gets super sucky.... and as she has gone from a baby to a toddler I have come to realize that she needs more outings, more playdates and just more fresh air! You can only hangout in the back yard for so long! We are ready for our pool to be in use again!! And with dislocated elbows and poisonous spider bites we have been needing to see the Doctor on a urgent matter a lot more. Something you just can't schedule.  I have such incredible friends who always made it work, to come to our house and play or give me rides, but I really hate being the bother. It was just time to grab the bull by the horns and get a new car.

The thought of two car payments was not even an option, so we paid off our Santa Fe and the next few days Dan put his research skills to the test and found a car he wanted. 


A 2013 Mazda 3, black. His car. 







We headed over to the Mazda dealership and he knew exactly what he wanted  and three hours later we signed the papers and he got it. It's so funny how gentle you are around a new car, and our other car, the Santa Fe (now my car) gets thrashed! His car is fully pimped out with all these cool gadgets, and the doors unlock with your finger, and my car... well I'm just grateful for my own! but its' cool. He deserves it all!  Dan has done a great job getting my car all spiffed up, he even got it a new windshield and did a full 360 test so everything is updated and running. Full with gummy bears, gum, and a peach air conditioner (Girly smell to him). He is quite the man. 

So really this was a really long post about telling you about our new car. It seriously is so great having 2 cars and no more juggling!! 

3 comments:

Kashari said...

I'm so happy that you guys found a car, now if only we could find a second car, we would be able to hang out more and get our kids together for playdates more often :)

Ivo Beutler said...

I wouldn’t say you’re living large for having two awesome cars, but you’re both lucky to have your own cars. It’s the same with my family. My wife and I have our own cars, and both have been reliable during emergencies and during family vacations. ^____^

Ivo Beutler

Unknown said...

Your children are gorgeous. Our family of three, also has only one car. Mostly, my husband uses it to get back and forth to work. I stay at home with our son who needs special help because of his disabilities. The car thing only becomes a problem when our son has his doctor appointments and my husband needs to work.

Diana Hayes @ Baldwin Subaru