Tuesday, July 14, 2009

1 Jar, 753 Buttons

A button jar. who would have thought that a peanut butter jar full of random buttons would create a million memories. Growing up I traveled to my grandma Mendenhall's on numerous occasions. Many times by myself and me and my grandma would spend hours doing the most simplest but the best activities. Through the years the peanut butter jar full of buttons became my favorite thing to do with my grandma. We would make all sorts of jewelry, and being the grandma that she was, she would wear that jewelry the whole time that I was there. Life goes on, but I always remembered that button jar. 
Ok so the purpose of my button fiasco. My grandma died a little over 7 years ago, and about 3 years ago my grandpa was put in a assisted living. The house that was so lovable for so many years was put on the market and sold. I told my mom that all I wanted from that house was that jar of buttons. For some reason no one understood why I desperately wanted this jar, but it held sentimental value. After searching many times, no one could find that jar of buttons. I was heart broken.
Well I am moving in less then 3 weeks and my sister Megan took me to lunch one day. It was a "GOOD LUCK LUNCH". As we are waiting for our food she handed me a brown bag. I opened it very excitedly, I mean who isn't excited about gifts?. anyways there it was my very own jar of buttons. It is hard to explain the flood of emotion that came over me when I saw all 753 buttons in my very own jar. One that I will share with my children and my grandchildren. The tradition will stay alive. That one simple jar of buttons brought back floods of memories for me and Megan. We spent the remainder of the time talking about particular buttons that were in the jar and other things we loved about our grandma. It was an amazing gift, and it had so much meaning behind it. Thanks Megs for remembering such a memorable thing to me. 
Here is my jar. Isn't it beautiful 

6 comments:

Hill said...

I loved that jar. Grandma had so many great buttons in it. It is funny how I jar of button could bring hours of fun.

Marcy Cheney said...

That is the sweetest story and how sweet is Meg for thinking of the best gift to give you before your first move??? I love y'all and please travel safely to Texas. Keep in touch and let me know your email, address, etc. Love ya...Aunt Marcy

Meg said...

I'm so glad you love them! And I can't believe you counted them. Dan really needs to be done with is camp. Your talking to dishwashers and counting buttons..I'm a little worried. Love you...and so glad we got to spend some time together.

Cisneros Family said...

I loved the button jar too. It does bring back many memories. Good thing you have such a good sister who loves you enough to buy you a jar of buttons. :) I love you Les. I will miss you!

Abbie said...

I too loved the button jar! There are such great memories at Grandmas house. That was such a great gift from Meg. Best wishes on your move.

grams said...

HI LES, JUST READ ABOUT YOUR BUTTON JAR AND IT BROUGHT BACK MEMORIES. WE HAD A BUTTON JAR AT OUR HOUSE TOO. IN FACT IT IS STILL FILLED WITH THE THINGS YOU GIRLS USED TO TRY TO MAKE WITH THEM. SUCH GOOD MEMORIES, THE VISITS FROM YOU GRAND KIDS WERE THE BEST MEMORIES EVER. LOVE YA