Thursday, September 16, 2010

They say to always "Wear a Helmet"

I woke up Wednesday morning, and Dan and I took Range for a run. I was feelin good so I thought its finally cooled down enough that I could ride my bike to work. I loved it and it felt good to continue the exercise.

I head home for lunch and have a wonderful hour.
Little did I know what was coming!

So I am riding along and I make it to the busy intersection. I turn left and start riding, well a car pulls in front of me. I SLAM on my front brake and ONLY my front brake and go FLYING OVER the front of my bike.
Luckily my shoulder broke my fall and then my head hit second, crashing to the cement. Let me remind you that this all happens in front of a busy intersection and gas station. I'm pretty sure the whole town saw me take flight.

A nice older man pulls over and this is how our conversation goes:

Him: "Are you ok!?! I just saw what happened"

ME: " My shoe, I lost my shoe, can you please help me find it"

Him: "We will find your shoe, but you might have a concussion, follow my finger"

ME: "I can't I need to find my shoe"

Him: "Do you want to go to the hospital? Your head looks ok, but do you feel ok?"
"You need to be careful especially when riding with no helmet and slip on dress shoes"

ME: "No sir I have shoes, see! I just lost the one"

Him: "No, I know, your shoe is right here, I will get it for you, are you sure you don't want me to take you to the hospital?"

Me: "No I'm ok I just need to go to work, Thank you so much for stopping, you are nice!"

Him: "Well I hope your ok!"

Me: "I am thank you so much!"

I go to push my bike and I messed up the front brakes and wheel, so with my damaged head, and a bleeding shoulder I pick up my bike and carried it the rest of the way to work. When I walked in My boss had a look of horror, They were so sweet to me and bandaged my up.
Today I am immensely sore, with massive bruises all over my body! My head is ok just a few bumps and bruises around my eye, and well, as my shoulder goes, it still pretty nasty and hurts really bad, but I'm ok.

The moral of the story is wear a helmet and DO NOT HIT ONLY THE FRONT BRAKES!!

3 comments:

Rasmussens said...

I know I shouldn't laugh, but really! I am so glad you are ok. The very first thing I was told when I bought my bike was, never use the front brake alone. You will flip over your handle bars. Sorry, we forgot to tell you that one. Love you and miss you. Tell Dan hi and Happy Birthday tomorrow.

Nancy said...

Sorry, but that story made me seriously laugh out loud. I'm glad you are ok. I hope that you feel better soon!

Marcy Cheney said...

I'm with Brooke on this one Les...I laughed pretty hard imagining you looking for that shoe! But seriously, glad you are ok. Love ya