Saturday, December 3, 2011

Welcome to Parenthood.

I feel like tonight Dan and I experienced parenthood for the first time. June has been such a good baby and pretty easy that we feel our lives have gone on as normal, so we thought that we would push our luck and attempt going to a movie. We planned ahead and I fed her right before we went to the movie so that she would be so drunk on milk she would fall asleep and be snuggled in my arms for the movie. Well like I said, Parenthood happened. Dan was a trooper and took me to Twilight, Breaking Dawn. We sat at the very top and sort of on the end so we could stand and bounce June if necessary, but right at the last minute a stupid couple came and sat at the very end, like the worst seats in the show house so we thought no one would sit there. We figured it would be ok though. June slept through all the previews, but as soon as that opening scene started... eyes wide open and grunting. I am super paranoid about June making noises in places that babies really shouldn't be because I remember what it was like to have a baby being loud and rolling my eyes saying "why bring a child to a movie?" I now understand.
I felt bad for the couple sitting next to us, Dan was the best and took June out hoping she would fall back asleep.
He came back in...
She woke up...
He went back out...
I went out....
I came back in....
Dan came back in....
She woke up....
Dan went back out....
Dan STAYED OUT.
I watched the entire twilight movie by myself. I smiled and thought yep this is now our lives.
I came out of the movie theater and there was Dan just sitting there with June passed out in his arms and a smile on his face. We were thinking the exact same thing.

Welcome to parenthood.

*On a good note. One of the theater workers saw Dan out in the hall. She felt bad for Dan that he was out in the hall the whole time and gave us a free movie pass for the next time, which I'm not really sure when that will be.

4 comments:

Jessica Clark said...

We've done that, but luckily we didnt have to walk out. WE went to the matinee so we had the whole back rolls to ourselves. Yes welcome to parenthood:)

Anonymous said...

Aw, that's so nice that the worker did that for him!!
I never had the courage to take my baby to a movie.
Next time...get a sitter! haha It will be so much more enjoyable for you guys, and you should have that night out with each other!

Lindsey Walker said...

Parenthood just gets better and better! (and harder too :) This is such a sweet story. Life with kids will never be the same, and you will never be happier!

Mary said...

Luke and I have a whole list of movies we want to see, and have been thinking, "when is that ever going to happen?" we should definitely start trading off soon.