Saturday, November 30, 2013

Knock Out

It was awful. In fact I am still a little shaken up about it and my poor baby. June knocked out a tooth. Here is the story. 

June was begging us all morning to go to the park. We were already running around like mad people, trying to get Owen's passport finished up so that we can possibly cross the boarder to Canada this Christmas. She was super bugged that she had to be in the car and not go to the park. 

After getting told no over and over again at each Post office to get Owen's passport submitted today, we finally gave up and headed home. I remembered that we needed milk and that we would need to stop on the way home. 

Dan, being the most amazing father ever, offered to take June to the park while I run to the store, and then come back and pick them up. June got so excited with the word park that we really didn't have a choice. So I dropped them off and headed to the store. 

I came back and sat and watched my daughter and her daddy play all around the playground. June is getting so adventurous, but man she is such a clumsy little thing and is falling over all the time. So after watching them for a bit, I hop out of the car to go tell them it's time to go. June is up on the playground and see's me. She gets a huge grin on her face, goes to take a step and completely misses, smashing her face into the next step. I ran and grabbed her. There was a lot of blood, but we didn't really think anything  of it, since mouth injuries, even the tiniest cut, bleeds non stop. So we examined her, but she wouldn't let us see... It wasn't until she opened her mouth super wide to let out a massive scream, that I saw the gaping hole on the left side of her mouth....

Her tooth was knocked out. 

Dan went back and found the small little tooth laying on the step. the whole entire tooth came out. It was sheer panic and I felt sick to my stomach. I couldn't even imagine what she was feeling. Dan was our rock! We drove home and called my sister immediately, she is a dental assistant... really learning that there is nothing we can do for her little tooth. She told us to try and see if we could get the Dentist to look at it to make sure nothing else was damaged. 

I was so beyond grateful for the Dentist to see her on a Saturday. Oh man, he was amazing and so patient with June. He could see the ghost white faces we had, and was very calming. He didn't even charge us for the visit. It really helped. 


 I was so sick because It looked like we were going to lose the main front tooth too. Thankfully, that tooth seemed pretty solid when examined, and we haven't lost it yet. We have to go in on Monday to June's pediatric Dentist and get it x-rayed to make sure it's not fractured... So we could still possibly lose it. And back to being sick to my stomach. There is also the concern that her canine tooth was jammed back up into her gums and therefore damaging her permanent tooth.... We will find out more on Monday. 

Then we learned, that there is still a chunk of tooth in her gums where the tooth broke out. So that could lead to infection and we would have to get that removed. It made for a very long Saturday. Dan and our friend Jared gave June a blessing, and that helped, oh so much. It helped calm me down as well. 



June didn't seem to be too bothered by it. We were told it's more traumatic for the parents than it is for the child. I felt awful. I seriously thought I was going to throw-up at the dentist's office. 

So now June has a pretty little gap between her front tooth and canine. Her eye tooth is the one knocked out. She will have that gapping smile for the next 5 years until her permanent tooth decides to come in. 

The tooth fairy is coming to our house extra early! 

*NOTE: So for the rest of the day we snuggled and watched movies. I was still feeling pretty sick about the whole thing, and Dan was leaving to go to a Maverick's basketball game with some buddies... A couple hours before he had to leave, I pretty much curled up in a ball and fell asleep with pure worrisome for June. Dan took over and got June a soft dinner to not hurt her too much, and took care of Owen. He cleaned the house and made sure everything was in tip-top shape before he left. Then came and woke me up. What an incredible man. I cannot believe he is mine and that I get him forever. Luck. 

The little lady is now drugged up and fast asleep. We will see what tomorrow and Monday brings. 



1 comment:

Justin and Heather Phillips said...

My 2 year old chipped his 2 front teeth at about 17 months and I was SO sad and sick about it for days. I felt bad that he slipped in the tub and I ruined his smile! But it just adds character and makes them cuter! She will be okay and so will you! Hang in there!!