Sunday, March 11, 2018

Kate's Big Girl Bed


Kate officially upgraded to a big girl bed and it was all so exciting and a bit heart breaking all at the same time. 

We wanted to get Owen into a bigger bed and eventually give Kate his little bed. Well the time came when we found the big bedroom set that we wanted to get Owen (I'll post pictures later) and we didn't want to store the little white bed in the attic so we made the move of putting Kate in a big girl bed. 

Again it was one of those things that our older two were actually younger than Kate but we had nothing or no new baby needed the crib so the rush wasn't there, but it was also time. 

So we waited a week before Owen's bed was delivered to the house and then that evening took apart the crib and got Kate ready for the transition. 

After taking down the crib my heart became heavy and a few tears swelled in my eyes. I REALLY REALLY REALLY DO NOT want another child. We are in an incredibly good place in our lives and we complete with our family so it wasn't the feeling of missing a member of our family, but a feeling of a chapter closing in our lives. I remember Dan and I skipped a "Taking Back Sunday" concert to set up that crib when I was pregnant with June (We were soooooo excited to FINALLY be pregnant) and here we are with three beautifully children later who all slept in that crib. How could it not be hard? 
And plus we all know how sentimental I am. HAHA! 
So we have not parted with the crib. It sits in our attic and most likely will sit there for years to come. 
It's a good change. A great change that I welcome but weird to be ending our baby years in our family. It's time. 

Little Kate was so excited for her bed. She just kept climbing on it and saying "my bed, I sleep". We were a bit anxious to see how the night would go. 

We snuggled her in tight, did her little night routine, and said good night. I think I said "Stay in bed" over a hundred times as I walked out the door. We stayed upstairs just to see what would happen. About 20 minutes later we heard knocking on her door "Mama, Hi. I Kate" More knocking. I was laughing so I went back in, sang her some songs and then tucked her in again. She didn't come back out of bed. 

Ever since she has done amazingly well. She fell out of bed once in the middle of the night and was crying because she couldn't get back in. So as soon as I lifted her back to bed she collapsed on her pillow. We haven't had any issues since. And in the morning we normally find her sitting in her bed reading books or one of the older two are in there playing with her or they are in the living room playing. She love her bed and the bit more freedom she has. We are really happy that we made the transition. 

I love this child with all my soul. 

No comments: