Saturday, November 24, 2018

Patsy Ruth Cheney

My sweet Grandma (My mom's mom) passed away this past October. 

We were sort of expecting it but death is still weird and hard no matter the age, or who it is. My grandmother got pretty sick with pneumonia and we assumed that she would pass the beginning of the October. She held strong and fought for a couple more weeks then passed away in her sleep.
My grandfather was there with her the entire time, my mom and her siblings got to say goodbye to her before she passed and though it is sad, she left in peace surrounded by family knowing just how much she was loved. 

It was a pretty tricky situation at the time. Her funeral was held on June's birthday. I knew I needed to be there for my family, to say goodbye to my grandma and be there for my mom, but June is 7 and doesn't quite understand how that  is. Plus her birthday party was scheduled on the actual day of her birthday. I had no contact information to parents who were invited because June handed out the invitations at school. So we knew we needed to carry on with the party. 

With struggling to find an answer I decided to fly home for less than 48 hours, be there with the family, be there for the viewing and leave early morning on the day of the funeral and June's birthday. That way I could at least be in Idaho but would still be home for June's birthday. 

So I booked tickets for a late Thursday night and flew home early Saturday morning. Quick trip but I am really glad that I made it work. 

Airport yoga. Always 


I didn't have any kids with me so it was fun just playing around with my Nieces and Nephews. We went and walked up to the fields and had fun on the hay bails. 


Sweet baby Parker. He's the cutest!! 

I loved seeing all the fall colors in Idaho this Season. It was so beautiful on my parents street. 

A tribute to my grandmother on my yoga instagram page with this picture 

Lots of fun with siblings and my Grandpa 

My Grandma's program for her funeral 

All the Cheney Cousins minus Kyle. 


How amazing is this picture?!?! 

The Cheney Siblings 

I really liked this little quote that was at my grandma and grandpa's house. 

My beautiful grandma 

It was fun wearing a piece of her jewelry! 

I sadly had to leave bright and early the morning of the funeral. I had to get back to June for her birthday. Everything had to work out perfectly. Michelle took me to the airport at 6am and then we headed out. We then just sat on the runway for about 45 minutes. I was panicking because I only had a 45 minute layover in Colorado. I thought for sure that I was going to miss my flight. I was panicking! 

We finally got in the air and I felt a bit better. I knew I was going to have to book it fast to my next flight. 
I rushed from plane to plane but I made my Colorado flight. It all worked out and I made it home just in time for June's birthday party. 

The sunrise was beautiful that morning. 


Her Obituary: 


PATSY RUTH CHENEY 


May 8, 1931 - Oct. 13, 2018

Date of Service: Oct. 20, 2018

REXBURG – Patsy Ruth Lauridsen Cheney, 87, of Rexburg, Idaho, and formerly of Heyburn, passed away Saturday, October 13, 2018, in Rexburg.  



Patsy was born into the loving home of Evelyn and Grant Lauridsen on May 8, 1931, in Montpelier, Idaho. For the first four years of her life, she grew and developed under the loving care of her mother and father. In her fourth year her father was diagnosed with pneumonia and he passed away in a short time. Patsy and her mother moved to Burley, Idaho where her mother married Ellis Garrard. She attended schools in Burley and graduated from Burley High School in the class of 1949.

During high school she met a dashing young man named Cleo Kyle Cheney. After graduation she went to college with dreams of becoming a Registered Nurse. Those studies were interrupted when she said yes to Cleo’s marriage proposal. They were married December 23, 1951. They were sealed as an eternal family in 1955 in the Salt Lake City LDS temple. This marriage brought four beautiful children into this world: Tommy Royal Cheney (Cindy), Houston, Texas; Suzan C Mendenhall (Brent), Rexburg, Idaho; Cleo Kevin Cheney (Marcy); Newnan, Georgia; and Tami C Erickson (Eric), Rexburg, Idaho.

Patsy is a devoted member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She served in many callings that included Relief Society President and Young Women President. She was called as an ordinance worker in the Boise Idaho Temple and was one of the inaugural ordinance workers in the Rexburg Idaho Temple.

She fulfilled her dream of working in the medical world by assisting Drs. Brown, Sutton and Budge in Burley for over 20 years

Her favorite pastimes were tatting, crocheting, knitting and toll paining. But her most favorite pastime was loving and playing with her grandchildren, all 18 of them. She also blessed the lives of her 54 great-grandchildren.


Patsy’s selflessness, paired with her mothering nature and love for family made her unforgettable to those around her. She will be endlessly loved and missed.




Love you Grams! 

No comments: