Monday, September 15, 2014

Auditioned

I love to sing. I love music. It has been apart of my life forever. I joined my high school choir the beginning of high school. I simply just love all of the music theory, the range, the technique and the uniqueness of each voice. 

Last year Dallas was introduced to the MCO. or Millennial Choir and Orchestra. Friends told me I should audition but I just didn't think I had what it took to be apart of something that massive. So many people audition and I hate the disappointment, especially when its relatable to something I love, like singing. 

Well this year, Dan kept encouraging me, and telling me I should at least audition, worst case you just don't make it and then that's that. No big. 
I really have been thinking a lot about what I want to do for me. I honestly LOVE being wrapped around my children's fingers, but... 
I also don't want to lose me. I wanted something for my own, something I was talented at, use my skills. 
So, one night I sent in my application. 
Here's how it goes. 
I had to send in a pre-recording of my voice singing a song out of a selection of songs they chose. I was told I would hear back from them to see if I would be qualified for a live audition in front of the directors. The Auditions were held Tuesday and Wednesday night. I was a nervous wreck all weekend since I hadn't heard anything! NOT A WORD. I told Dan that obviously I hadn't made the cut or else I would have heard by now.... I was literally checking my email every 5 minutes. It wasn't looking good. 
Then Tuesday afternoon, I got an email telling me I had been chosen to come in for a live audition. Wednesday @ 7:45. I was stoked. One problem. I have been SUPER sick. My voice was completely gone. I had nothing left but whispers. I tried soothing my voice to at least have some music ability before my live audition. Every trick I could remember I was trying it. 
By Wednesday, I still had nothing but to belt it out at my highest range and give what I could. 
I couldn't practice because I was resting my voice, and just singing in my head hoping that would be enough. I had said a prayer of plea to let them hear what I can do. To let my best be shown. Oh I love the power of prayer! 
That night I get to my audition time and they are really behind. great. All that much more time to be nervous, and have my voice crack and shake. It was a long night. There was this lady working the auditions, who I think was trying to be positive, but oh man she was the worst!! She kept telling all of us there that we don't always get what we want. And that a lot of us wouldn't make it, and if we do make it, don't be expecting to be a soprano. She tried out as a soprano before and was put in as an alto. Thanks LADY! GOSH! It was not comforting hearing that at all. 
I was one of the last to audition and my poor little voice could barley be heard when talking to the directors. I felt so bad and sad all at the same time. I really wanted this. 
After an hour of when my audition was supposed to be at, I go into the room, my prayer was heard. I felt so calm and reassured that I could do this. I know that I can sing. Thankfully I could still sing my high octaves and show my range. It was just down low I couldn't hit, which is fine because I'm a Soprano anyways. 
After a few warm ups I sang America the Beautiful a cappella. 
The director told me this. He said I had a great range and that I had what he was looking for in tone to be a soprano 1. He then said that there are only 5 Soprano 1's and if I were to be placed into the choir thats where he would put me. But first I would have to make it into the choir. 
My chances weren't looking so good. 

I came home surprisingly feeling good. I gave my best of what I could and proud of myself for even making it to the live audition round and doing this for me. So I told Dan I would be obviously disappointed if I didn't make it, but I would stay optimistic about the whole thing. 

The next morning I received this email: 


I read this over and over again. I was SO EXCITED!! 
Just to be accepted and then to make it as a Soprano 1! It was a high I haven't felt in a while and I really liked it. I was excited to tell Dan. He is my number one fan, so supportive, listened to me sing over and over and over and over again. Helped me pick out my weak spots and made them strong. I couldn't have done it without him. 

We had our first rehearsal this past Thursday and there really where only 5 Soprano 1's including myself. When they asked for all the new people to stand I was the only one out of that section to stand. I made the only spot available! Out of everyone that auditioned! I was so proud of myself and totally would have fist bumped myself, but I'm trying to make a good impression on these people. Not think that I'm weird. 

It's so fun to be doing something for me, and something that I love to do. I'm really looking forward to be performing downtown and to be back in the music game. 
It's going to be a good year!  



4 comments:

Jacqueline Clark said...

Congratulations Leslie!! How exciting!

Jessica W. Clark said...

That's awesome lesi! Last year I was going to try out for the flute but I totally chickened out and said my life was too busy with kids now I wished I had tried out! It had been years since I played and I thought I didn't have what it takes. But in high school was a the top flutist, so I should have. Maybe next year.... That is way awesome lesli! I know getting a singing part is hard because I had friends that tried but didn't make it, you should be proud.

Lauren Byers said...

That's so cool Lesli! Congrats!! So fun!! I wish I could hear you sing in the choir!

Cisneros Family said...

Oh man!! I posted a comment, but then my phone went weird and I don't know if it went through! Anyhow... So so so proud of you!! You are so extremely talented. Beautiful inside and out! You deserve this and I wished we lived closer to hear you!! I'm seriously so proud! Love you!