Monday, July 11, 2016

Utah

It was time for our annual trip to the North and this year did not disappoint. We had so much fun and I loved seeing how excited the kids (mostly June) were to see their cousins. 

The trip getting there was a bit crazy. Last year I drove, but with Kate, Dan really didn't want me driving that far with three kids being so young. So we flew. I knew going into it, that it was going to be a bit more stressful. Trust me. Driving is so much easier with kids! I just buckled down and did what I had to do to make this flight as smooth as possible with myself and the three kiddos. 

Dan actually left for Canada the Sunday before we left. That meant that getting to the airport, parking, and checking bags were all up to me. I had a system in mind, so I went for it. I pulled up to where outside check in was, and THANKFULLY the officer allowed my car to remained parked for a while, so that I could unload the car, get the carseats and luggage checked in and then go park the car with the kids. It still was a lot of stuff to juggle but we made it. People are so helpful! 

We made it through security and got to our gate just fine. We had lunch, went potty one last time, fed Kate and got on the plane. 


Kate did great on the flight! She just sat and played on my lap and then eventually fell asleep. The flight was just over 2.5 hours. 



Kate fell asleep with her foot on the tray. I don't know why but I laughed a little at this. 

June fell asleep too for a bit

When we made it to Salt Lake, my plan was to grab a cart to load all of our stuff, but AMAZINGLY my sisters met us at baggage claim. It was so fun to see them and to have the extra hands to help! 

I still had to get my rental car and of course I rented from the ONE place that you have to get on the shuttle for. Even though their website said they are located at the airport. LIARS! My Sister Brooke needed to get back to Spanish Fork so her & Michelle took June and some of our luggage, while my Sister Megan and I had Kate and Owen on the Shuttle. 

While we were waiting for the shuttle we had all our luggage. And then there was this man standing right next to us with his luggage. All of the sudden my sister Megan started loading some of Kate's toys and my snack bag onto HIS luggage. He just looked at her and watched her do it. After he asked if he wanted us to take that... we were all laughing SO HARD! The best part was, was that he followed us on the shuttle and to the rental car place.

On the way to their house, Brooke said June didn't stop talking to whole time. Doesn't surprise me. That girl is a chatter box. 

Meanwhile we were in rental car hell! We got on the WRONG shuttle at the airport so it took us to the wrong rental car place. We thought we were going to have to go all the way to the airport and then get back on the right shuttle which would have taken us another hour!! 
We ended up just using Uber. It saved us! 
Owen just waiting patiently. He was such a good boy!! 

We got to the right rental car place and the line was out the door!!! Kate was starving, it was so hot and everyone in line seemed super annoyed. There was one family there who had 5 children under the age of six and they had a reservation for a mini van, yet they didn't have a mini van for them. So they had been waiting there for close to three hours trying to get it figured out. With all of their kids just waiting. I felt so bad. 
There were a couple of older men in front of us and they were so so nice and let us go in front of them. They could see were were pretty frustrated! Thankfully they had our SUV ready and we got it quick and we got out of there. I still don't know what ever happened to the minivan people. I guess lesson learned. You don't drive a minivan. Ever. Hahaha just kidding! 

We drove the hour to my sister's house and we were so excited to pull into the drive way. We unloaded and the kids and they just played!! I think we were all so so happy to be there! 


That night the kids did not want to seperate so they all slept at Brooke's house. All except Owen and Kate. They came back to Michelle's house with me. 

Obviously I was nervous wreck with how Owen would sleep. I prepared for the worst, but he ended up sleeping pretty well! I slept next to him and when he woke up we just tried some of the stuff our doctor told us to try. It really helped and kept the crying to a minimum. 

The next morning we just played and got ready to go out to Brooke's house. Michelle's girls have a guinea pig and Owen was obsessed with it. He kept taking him food and opening the cage to let him out. The girls were super patient with Owen and a big help!   

Over at the other house, the kids played as soon as they woke up, which was at the crack of dawn. Aunt Brookie kept them entertained! 

Kate and Quinn 

Sam and June went to go pick up my niece, Lauren from dance. When they came home they were riding out of the sunroof and dancing. 

In the afternoon we took the kids to a splash park! My niece Lauren pretty much took Kate the entire time we were in Utah! She was so amazing to have help me with everything!! 

Playing cards




That night we went and watched my nephew play high school baseball. He is the one in the middle! It's weird to think that I have a nephew this old. He's awesome and he's sixteen which means he was too cool to hardly hangout with us. It was great watching him play ball. He is so incredibly passionate about it! 

You can't really see in this picture, but sitting under that tree is June. All by herself just eating some pizza. 

We obviously enjoyed the beautiful weather!


Little cousin besties 

I remember as a kid playing some random game under the bleachers when my brother played baseball. Now I have a daughter doing it. Life is weird. 

My Brother Mike and his fan drove up that night and met us at the baseball game. After that we all went out to Brooke's house and talked and let the kids play. Plus another sleepover. 

The next morning (FRIDAY) we woke up pretty early and headed to Seven Peaks water park, where we planned on spending the day. 


We set up camp with umbrellas and tents and made it our home for the next six hours. 

Lo and Kate 




Owen is still in the "I really don't like water" phase so he mostly just splashed his feet. 

Guys, June CRUSHED the water slides. All her fear of water is gone and she has now been introduced to the awesomeness of swimming and waterslides. I was so proud of her for going down such big slides by herself. The first time she went down I thought for sure she was going to have a panic attack and never want to do it again! NOPE! She kept going and going and going! She loved it!! 



Boys playing on the tubes 
The girls ruling the tent and not letting any boys in!


Owen and Austin are only a week apart. So they became the best little buddies. They raced those cars down that little ramp basically all afternoon!

Owen did get super tired and fell asleep next to Quinn

Afternoon naps




June got all crazy and decided to go down the waterslide where you lay on your back and it shoots you out!! I don't even like those slides! She's all of the sudden this little dare devil!

After a good long day of swimming, playing, and eating, we packed everything up and headed out!

On our way home we did stop and get drinks and a treat at Sodalicious!

Little Sagey came home with me and fell asleep. 

Getting all cleaned up! Owen was not impressed with the little amount of space he had, and being thrown in with all those girls! 

We got all cleaned up and then us adult kids took off and left all the kiddos behind. On our way out I snapped a pic with my big brother. I'm his only little sister and we had some good bonding over the years! 

Of course we laughed so incredibly hard and had so much fun all together. I have the best siblings. I love how close we are, even though we live so far apart. We are a close nit family and I'm so grateful that even with my parents serving a mission, we remain close and make the effort to get together. 

Saturday morning we got up and went and hiked the Y mountain. Over by BYU. 

At the top. I was a lone wolf that day and I was really missing Dan. 




We came back, got cleaned up and then had a BBQ in Brooke's backyard 

The kids had a sprinkler under the tramp 

I love this picture with the girls and their big bows. 

We just had a lazy Saturday of eating and playing 



Kate getting her toe nails painted and obviously being really into it. 

Introducing the kids to Rootbeer



ALL 15 GRANDCHILDREN!! 

I have mentioned many many times and my sister Brooke is the baby whisperer... Truth people. 


And the five of us. We're kind of great. 

Saturday night, Mike and Shay left. They had Church responsibilities the next day. We said goodbye and then called it a night. 

The next day everyone was so extremely tired. My sisters had 9am church. Owen continued to sleep and there was no way I was going to wake that kid up, so June went to church with my sister and her family. I stayed home, cleaned a bit and got ready. After church we all just kind of did our own thing for a while. Some napped, so I took the opportunity to go see the new Provo City Temple! It is so beautiful. So different and I was so glad we made the decision to go see it! 




I thought this picture was funny. June snapped it as I was asking some random people if they would take our picture. 



Dear sweet little June got all concerned as we were talking about the temple and being married someday. She was so worried because she thought she was going to have to marry Owen because he is the only boy still single in our house! Haha once I explained it to her, she was so relieved. 

Isn't it so beautiful?! I seriously loved it! 

When we got back to my sisters house we decided to have some naps and quiet time ourselves. Little Kate was out! She's the best sleeper!

Then it was back out to Brooke's house for dinner and more playing!




Owen kept calling Reese his best friend and wanting to know where she was at all times. Reese was pretty good about letting him follow her around. It was just funny how much he loved Reese!And now he calls all of June's little friends Reese when they come over to play. 

Roasting s'mores


And more Kate snuggling

One more sleepover. We thought for the last night it would be better to have everyone sleep in their own beds tonight, but the kids put up such a fight and they didn't want to be separated so we caved and let them sleep together. I basically didn't take care of June all week. Thank goodness for her aunts who got her dressed and did her hair all the time!

Monday came and it was time to head home. I had to get to the airport on my own this time and return the rental car, then get everything to check-in. I didn't have a clue at how I was going to make it. 
When I got to the rental car place, I had a prayer in my heart to please let me be patient and to just have this work out. Oh how it did. There was a guy there who instantly came to my aid. He worked there and took the car off my hands, ran in and got my receipt and said don't worry about anything else! 
As I was loading 4 suitcases, 3 carseats, 3 carry ons, a stroller, and 3 kids onto the shuttle, this older couple just came right to my aid. They helped me load everything and then on the way to the airport they helped keep the kids entertained. 
THEN this AMAZING couple PLUS two other complete strangers helped carry everything in!!! Some weren't even getting off the shuttle yet, but they did for me!! I may have been fighting back tears. I knew these people were not there by coincidence! 

THEN another lady who worked at the airport came and took the stroller from my juggling hands and  we all walked to check in together. I mean you guys! These people will always hold a special place in my heart. They truly saved me!! They made sure I was all settled and then we all went our separate ways. I hugged them all so tight and wish I could do more! I am just so so so grateful for them! 

We made it through security, had lunch and then got on the plane. Pretty much the same as coming to Utah. 

We had a layover in Colorado. We were sending pictures to Nana and Papa Polly-pocket (Mendenhall)  saying hi, and wishing we could see them, being in the same city and all. 


Getting on our last plane!


The flight went great, but we were so ready to be done traveling! 

Dan had Uber take him to the airport and he met us there to help with everything. Then we were able to ride home together. It was so great to be home and be with Dan! 

That night we were so excited to sleep in our beds, but unfortunately little sleep happened. June got the stomach bug and was throwing up all over the place! She ended up in our bed, then she threw up in there. Dan and I spent literally all night cleaning up throw-up.

It went into the next day and  then the following night. We all were really really tired. 


So really the trip was great! We had so much fun being with family and being with everyone. It's crazy to think that our next summer get together will actually be at HOME with my parents at their homecoming!! I love this family that I'm apart of! 

1 comment:

Rasmussens said...

Seriously best week ever!!! We have a pretty dang awesome family. Love you.