Monday, July 15, 2013

Across the Border

It's a good day to blog. It's cloudy and rainy out, June and I both have nasty colds, and sitting, watching movies all day and blogging seem to be the right things to do. Besides the constant coughing and blowing of noses between the two of us, we are pretty content. 


This past week, we crossed the Border, over to Canada. We haven't been up there in a year and a half, so it was way past time for us to get up there and visit Family. 
I love going up to Canada. Yes, it pretty much is the same as America, but there are a lot of differences too, and it's always fun to point them out. I also LOVE how Dan instantly reverts back to his Canadian ways. His speech and his love for his Country just to name a few. He soon will become a U.S. Citizen and I think why it's taken him so long, is because he isn't ready to de-nounce his home land. It's a work in progress. 

We flew from Dallas to Calgary (Direct flight!) on Sunday. 

At the airport, June was being so funny. She was laughing at the weirdest things. I think she was a little wired from no nap, and just the excitement from the change of scene. She loved to watch the airplanes take off, and make airplane noises... I think she is preparing for a little brother! 


 Of course she made a little friend while we waited for our flight. These two hung out for a good half hour, just playing and watching the planes. It was pretty adorable.


Our flight up there was only 3 1/2 hours, so really not to bad. June did pretty good. She was frazzled from not having a nap, but we thankfully had a whole row to ourselves, which made it super nice for her to sit and watch movies, read her books and play on the i-pad. 

We had the worst turbulence Dan and I have ever experienced. At one point our plane dropped probably a good 6 ft. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but when your floating in mid air... it's a lot! There were a couple of people who screamed and some more panicked faces, but the plane evened out and we made it safe and sound to Calgary. 

We had a little greeting party at the airport with Dan's brother, SIL and his dad. 

On the way to the house, I felt a little tickle in the back of my throat. I thought it was just allergies, because of the weather change and all that, but no. It wasn't allergies. By Sunday night I had the worst soar throat and I knew a cold was coming on. 


Sunday night, we just talked and talked some more, hung out with the little ones and caught up on life. The majority of the family was there except for Will and Jess who would arrive the following day. 



Monday, the girls (except for Dan's mom) all went out and shopped for a bit, until Will and Jess arrived. I love shopping in Canada. Though it's more expensive, there are stores that aren't available in the States, so it's fun to have more of a variety! I finally shopped for the little man arriving in October! It was a little weird, and kind of not as much fun as shopping for a girl, but I bought a load of things for him, and Dan loved picking out all the little man things!

Side note: Why do boys clothes always have to have animations on them? I feel like I can't find any clothes that are just stripes, or even a solid color! It always has to have Mickey Mouse, or some other creature on it... Not my fav!

Will and Jess arrived and now the true party could get started!

Vanessa is totally the cool aunt. All the nieces love to play with her, and she is super good with them!





 June loved her older cousins. They read stories to her and played with her all day long! She had no interest in hanging out with her parents, which made me a little sad. She is becoming such an independent little girl.

Tuesday we spent the morning at the park.


You bet June made another new little best friend. 

I love going on walks with this little lady. She is getting really good at knowing when to hold my hand to cross the street, or reach for it when a stranger is coming near her. She loves to explore, but she knows how to do it cautiously. 


After naps, we headed to the Airdrie swimming pool. It was a really nice pool. They had different sizes for all different ages and a water slide. I haven't been down a water slide in years, so it was fun to go down, Though there was a sign that specifically said pregnant women not allowed.. but what were they going to do? assume I was pregnant and call me fat? ahahaha 


June loves the water. That probably has to do with our everyday swimming, but she had a great time. They had a little whirl pool that she kept going around yelling "WEEEEEE" we were laughing so hard. 



 The belly is baby and not fat. Remember that.



After swimming we all headed home for dinner and more talking. 
I don't think any of us went to bed before midnight every night! Though I was super sick, I never want to miss a party, so I sucked it up and got about 5-6 hours a sleep at night. Not the best thing for a pregnant sick lady, but totally worth it. 


Wednesday morning we went to the park again, and played in the splash park. It's just right down from Dan's house, so it was easy enough to take the little ones with us. The library was right next door too, so we could take a break from the outside and read some books. 


These two are so inseparable when they are together. She totally chooses him over me, but I love it. This week back to work is going to be hard for her to adjust not having him around all the time. 




 This may have been my favorite moment of the week. We went to go lay June down for naps, and as we were reading stories, she laid down on the pillow, so Dan and I laid down with her. We finished reading a story and singing a song. We asked if she wanted to go get in her pack n' play and she said no. I asked her if she wanted to lay on the bed, and she said yes... Next thing I know she slowly fell asleep. THAT NEVER HAPPENS. It was such a peaceful moment just laying there with my family. I know it's a little grainy but it was dark. I had to take a picture though! We all took a good two hour nap!

Wednesday afternoon, was meant for Calgary stampede. Dan and I woke up from our naps and some of Dan's family had already left. We woke up a little late and we made the executive decision to not go. I was sad to not see Stampede, but I was told it's just like any other fair, and I was also relieved, because being sick, I don't think I could walk around the fair grounds.

So we spent the rest of the day outside with cousins and playing. I think June had much more of a fun time staying home and playing than being stuck in a stroller... Who am I kidding, she is such a people watcher, she probably would have loved it, but still, we had fun staying home.


Thursday was Riley Park day. A really fun wading pool. The water was FREEZING! I forget about how cold North water is. We had a fun time splashing around, but just for a bit before June's lips turned blue. Some of Dan's cousins met up with us there, which it's always fun to see them! 


 She's to cool for you. 

Like I said... attached to daddy. 

Later that night after dinner, we bundled up and headed to their small towns little Farmer's market. It was itsy bitsy, but I still got June some new hair bows, (Like she needs anymore) and it was fun just to walk around.

Friday we spent the morning in the house, and then later that day we all went bowling. Canada bowling is always fun. 5 pins and tiny little bowling balls. They were perfect for June. I admit I did pretty darn good. Totally bowled over a hundred! 





That night we had dinner at a Chinese restaurant, and then headed home. The Horton's came over... (Some of the Lancaster's really good friends and next door neighbors) I love them! They brought over some rhubarb and strawberry crisp, which was sooooo good, along with Vanessa's homemade ice cream that she had made earlier that day! Again, Delicious!! 

Saturday was fly home day. June woke up with the cold that I have had all week, and a fever. I wasn't feeling all that great either, but we were ready to get home. We had to be to the airport pretty early, just because customs is on the Canadian side, so we have to be there a little earlier to go through all that... We made it through just fine without any complication. I don't know why, but I always like going through customs,  I like the different ways they ask the questions, but really they just want to know what you are doing, why you are going to America, and what stuff you are bringing with you! Some patrol men are nice, others are not. 

The flight home was again pretty good. We had the row to ourselves again. June fell a asleep but would wake up screaming because the pressure in her ears was hurting her from having a cold. She slept for a good solid hour though, which was super nice! 

We landed and we were all exhausted! It was so nice to be home though! 

Poor little June bug. She had, had enough and her little face says it all! She just did not feel good. 

We made it home and got ourselves in order. We got June down for the night, and Dan went and did some yard work, just to pick up from us being gone a week. While he was out there, he discovered a nice little surprise! 
We have a peach tree growing on the side of our house! We picked the peaches that hadn't been eaten by bugs and even ate one. It was fantastic! We were so happy to realize this little treat and can't wait for more peaches! 


Canada was fun, but we are happy to be home and getting better! It does bite getting back to reality, Work and schedules and all that boring stuff, but luckily for us reality only lasts until Thursday when Adam, Nicole, and Jason get here, and Dan is off for another 5 days!   

P.S. Being sick while pregnant should not be allowed. Not being able to take any drugs and fighting the cold on my own is a killer. We are going on a solid week here of not being able to breath and coughing my lungs out! It's glorious. Ok enough of my complaining... Because it's dumb. 

HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE! 

1 comment:

Kailey said...

I'm sad I missed you guys at the wading pool! Would have been fun to see you. And I'm with you on all the character clothing...so annoying. I pretty much only shop for Lucas at H&M (the CUTEST stuff!), Joe Fresh, and Old Navy.