Monday, January 13, 2014

Owen's Blessing Day

Owen's blessing day was a bit of a struggle, but by the end it was a beautiful blessing from Dan and the day ended up great. Here's our day:

The day finally came for Dan to give Owen a special blessing at Church on Sunday. It is always such a special, spiritual day for the child and for the parents, and it was time for Owens day. We felt a little bad because it really did sneak up on us. We both had other church responsibilities that we had to take care of on Sunday and the blessing sort of got pushed to the back of our minds.... 

The night before I asked Dan if he was ready, and he looked at me with a little bit of surprise and told me he hasn't really thought about it. We both gave each other a pitty look and felt awful that we didn't make more of a big deal out of it. 

We had decided a while ago that we thought it wouldn't be necessary for family to be here. My parents were just here when Owen was born, and then we saw both sets of family during the Holidays. But we really really missed having family there and having the men in the family stand in the circle with Dan. 

I didn't even do a dinner or lunch for after, like we did for June's blessing day. I know thats much more of a thing to do in the North and not really here, but I still felt pretty bad about it. 

The next morning Dan had to be at meetings by 7 and me and the kids needed to be out the door by 8:30 to make it to church at 9. I got up and got myself ready, and then got June ready. I took a couple of pictures of Owen, but I was all alone and the only one there to make a big deal out of it. Oh man I think I am just way to sentimental but it made me feel really sad. 

It then became a rush of a morning trying to get everything together, and plus getting all my primary stuff together... (Maybe should of thought of all this the night before). I was supposed to leave by 8:30 and didn't get out the door until 8:50. I still made it about 5 minutes until church, with the luck of every green light and a little speeding on the free way... I thanked my Heavenly Father a lot once I got into the parking lot. I could finally breath a little bit easier.

We had confirmed many MANY times with our Bishop that we were blessing Owen today, but low and behold we find out that they aren't ready for a blessing with no microphone in sight. Dan would be blessing Owen on the other side of the Chapel, so I started getting teary eyed knowing I probably wouldn't hear the blessing. I felt contention in my heart, and I hated it because this was not how I was supposed to feel on my sons blessing day. 

Then Dan started blessing Owen. My heart became so full, and I could hear perfectly. It was so calming and I felt so loved and so blessed that my husband was up in front of our congregation giving my son a beautiful blessing. I let the tears fall. We have incredible friends who fill the role of our family, being so far away from home. I can't even express the feeling of peace and fulfillment I had at that moment. We have the blessing he gave Owen written down and we will give it to him one day just like we plan to with June. 

His blessing day may have been a bit crazy, but his blessing was nothing but perfect. 


The Lancaster blessing outfit for the boys

My Handsome man. 





We are missing a few of our friends in this picture, but this is what I consider my family. Friends who support us, who wake up early to be at a different church than theirs, friends who are on the brink of having a baby but still come, and friends who have been in our lives for what feels like forever, who we couldn't imagine not having around! I truly love these people. 

Missing two fella's from the circle, but these are the men who stood with Dan during Owen's blessing

In the end Owen's blessing Day was wonderful and I am beyond grateful he is in our lives.

1 comment:

Kashari said...

OMG! I look so huge in this picture. I'm glad everything worked out for Owen's blessing, it was beautiful and we are so glad to have been there and participate.