Monday, May 5, 2014

Nana & Papa Mendenhall come to Texas!

My parents came to visit us in Texas this past weekend and it was so fun! I think I was the most excited for this visit than any other visit in the past. Maybe just because I knew it was the last Texas visit before their mission, or I knew we only had a few days so every minute had to be special. I was just really excited! I am just really glad I have one more trip home before they really do leave. 
     It's hard to believe that this really was their last Texas visit for 3 years or maybe forever since who knows where Dan and I will be in three years. Or that we could very easily be in a different home. So I wanted everything perfect for this trip. 

My parents flight got in at noon and you better believe we were right at the doors waiting for them to come out. I honestly think thats my favorite part of a visit to Texas is the happy faces meeting us at the airport. It's so much fun and so much excitement for what is to come. June, OD and myself waited patiently for their plane to land, and then there they were! June RAN to nana and papa and gave them huge hugs! 

Gramps giving June a ride, waiting for luggage. 

Our first stop was to get something to eat. Then off to the house. We made it two steps into the house before June had her clothes off and dragging Nana and Papa to the backyard. She had been waiting so patiently all morning to go swimming but I told her we had to stay dry to go pick them up!


We lounged out back all afternoon and June and Papa swam.  One of the favorites!

Dan came home from work and we went and got some dinner at one of our favorite sushi places. 

 While waiting for Dan, my parents entertained the kids. It's so nice when they come to visit. I feel like I can just hang out since they play with the kids the majority of the trip. 

One of my favorites. 


Dan had an Elders Quorum meeting that night, so after we just went home and played some more and got ready for bed. My parents called it an early night since they had gotten up at 4:00am to catch their flight. 

Friday, Dan had to work half day. Our plan was to spend the morning at the park playing and then go down town Dallas once Dan got off work. In the morning we walked down to our small little park and played around for a bit. June and my mom doing the balance beam... with grandpa's help of course.

June does not like swinging. She never really has, but she seemed to some what enjoy it being on Nana's lap. It is definitely a work in progress, but if she never likes the swings then thats fine by me. One less thing that can break her leg or arm. 

ALSO A FAV!! 

After a bit we walked back to the house and got ready for the day. We met up with Dan at his office around noon and headed downtown to the Clyde Warren park to have lunch and spend the afternoon. 

 Playing at the water park! Everyone right in the action! June is very hesitant at first around spraying water, but with the excitement of Nana and Papa she was loving running right through the fountains

Owen did what he does best. Just Chill. I am very grateful for another calm baby. His personality could change over time, but for now as long as he's fed, he's happy. 

You know us, just being too cool for you. 

Nana saved Owen from the dreaded carseat

And papa helping him cool down. It was a really hot day


Like I said, she was having a blast

A little encouraging pep talk




It was a great afternoon with yummy food and lots of running around. We headed home just in time to beat rush hour. 

I love my dad. I love his genuine happiness and his love for life. He is all about the positive and making the most out of things. I really do have the best!

Once we got home, we all got cleaned up a bit and Dan went to get our little babysitter. While we waited we played out back. My dad is such a fix it kind of man. Whenever he comes to our house he tends to have the answer to a pestering problem or discover something new. Well this time he discovered a hose that flows underground and right into our pool making a little fountain and making it 10 TIMES EASIER to fill our pool when the water evaporates. Dan and I were so excited!!! And June loves playing in the little fountain. LOVE IT!


When Dan got back with Mikeala, us adults headed out for a birthday celebration for my Dad, since it's his birthday this coming Sunday. It was nice to get out and be able to eat dinner and talk without being interrupted by the little ones. We rather enjoyed ourselves. My dad all of the sudden became best friends with the chef and the chef liked him so much he gave us all a free dessert. Leave it to my dad! 

The next morning, we surprised my dad with a nice round of golf for his birthday. Him, Dan and our friend Taylor went and did 18 rounds at Coyote Ridge. 

Us girls had the morning to have tea parties and go shopping. My mom is just another great example in my life. She is the mother that I want to be. I try to be like her everyday. She is a tough act to follow. All the grandkids love her and she too keeps us all entertained. She constantly played tea party with June and also let June paint her fingernails. It was pretty awesome. 
Pretend tea party isn't good enough.. no we had to have real food and juice when Nana was here. 


Then my mom taught her that her little water table could be a dish washer. That she can put her cups and dishes in the ball twirler and then dry them. We did dishes for a good hour. 


My mom and I loaded up the kids after getting ready and headed out for some shopping! I love shopping and I love it even more with my mom! 

We have a carousel in one of our malls and it only makes sense for Nana to take June on it. She loved it at first, but was ready to get off after a while. 


Luckily Nana was there to hold her hand and make her feel safe. 

Yep. Another picture favorite!

OD being a bystander and watching the horses and bright lights go round and round 

Around 3, we were wrapping things up and finished our shopping. It was time to head home, meet up with the boys and spend the rest of the afternoon swimming and lounging by the pool. 

We grilled steaks and made a delicious last meal all together. It was a perfect night to eat outside and enjoy each other's company. I really didn't want the night to end. It meant that this little trip was over and tomorrow would be time to say goodbye and that definitely is the worst part! 

We bathed the kids and put them to bed. Then my mom made party mix and we played games. Perfect end to a perfect day!

Sunday morning we helped my parents pack and get everything ready for them to go. Our church wasn't until one and their flight left at 2:30. I was thankful that we had the morning to spend a few hours together. I threw some cinnamon rolls in the oven and we ate breakfast outside. 
Got ready ready and then it was time to load up and head to the airport.




It was a really fast but perfect weekend. The weather was beautiful and we were able to get everything we wanted done. I really can't even express how much I love and look up to my parents. They are so incredible and June and Owen and beyond lucky to have such amazing grandparents in their lives!

2 comments:

Rasmussens said...

I am so glad they went!!! Looks like you guys had a great weekend!!!! Can't wait to see you and your kids. Love you.

Cisneros Family said...

We're so lucky to have mom and dad! But, I think our kids are even luckier. Best grandparents hands down!