Monday, August 18, 2014

Getting Back into Swimming

We are in our pool every single day. Minus the rainy days. We take full advantage at having something so quick at our finger tips to cool us down on Texas hot days and we love it. It is so nice to not have to pack a bag, pack up the kids, snacks, towels, toys... bla bla bla. We get in and out when we like. Fantasic. 

June has loved the pool from day one. She loved to splash around, jump of the side and swim to her hearts content. Then she accidentally fell in. 

Earlier this spring we purchased a robot that cleans our pool for us. One day when Dan and I were out cleaning out the back flower bed of weeds, and the robot in the pool, June started coming over to us on the other side of the pool. She got caught in the robots cord, tripped and fell in. I had her by the arm and shirt within 2 seconds... (the most adrenaline 2 seconds of my life) It scared her. It scared me. After calming her down and letting her know everything was ok, we went inside and she wouldn't go near the pool for the next few days. 

The first bit of summer was all about baby steps getting her into the pool. She only stayed on the steps where she could reach and get in and out very easily. I felt so bad that this one incident scared her from what she loved to do. Floating on her back, jumping off the edge and swimming around with Dan or I. We tried so many different approaches and she wanted nothing to do with swimming, just playing on the steps. I didn't want to push it. So we played a lot on the steps. We became pretty clever with our games though, so it was still fun. 

Well just within the last few weeks we have started venturing out, and she is getting so much braver. We play "grocery store" where all of the pool toys are on the opposite side of the pool, and different types of transportation take her there. Airplane, motorcycle, bus... etc. You get the idea. we play red light, green light, yes even when it's the airplane ride. She loves it and it gets her off the steps, floating and splashing. 


 She has gotten back to learning how to float on her back and learning how to kick and blow bubbles out of her nose. She is even more confident with going under the water when jumping off the edge and blowing out her nose that way.

Dan and her have really gotten into swimming and learning to swim to the steps. I doubt at this stage she could make it there on her own, but she has progressed so much and I am so proud of her. 

I am so proud that she conquered her fear. It took a little bit of time and lots of just going out of the pool half way then back to the steps, but she has become confident again and wanting to jump off the edge and play again. I am so happy for her. 

I love seeing how much she trusts her dad. As sad as it is for me, she really is a daddy's girl. I am needed still, yes. My feelings aren't hurt, but at the end of the day it's daddy that she wants. 

It's been a good swim season for us. I can't decide if I'm ready for it to end or not. We still hopefully have a few more weeks/month of warm weather before it's time to close it up for the winter. I love this girl and all that she is. She is my perfection. 


2 comments:

Nancy said...

That last picture is so adorable! I'm glad she is becoming more brave! Oh, it would be so fun to have a pool...if I didn't live in Rexburg, haha.

Rasmussens said...

I want to be in that pool with her!!!