Thursday, August 20, 2015

80 and Below in August

In the six years we have lived in Texas... (six years!! Crazy right?!) We have just learned to endure the month of August. You survive by taking it one day at a time and hoping to keep your electricity bill to somewhat of a minimum... It usually doesn't happen, but you try by surrounding yourself with fans, wearing swimsuits all the time, and just putting your head down and pushing your way through the month of August. It's just how you do in Texas...
But today. Oh the glorious-ness of today. We had a slight bump in our forecast and a cold front had slowly made its way through, hitting us last night. I actually put clothes on Owen to sleep in because we knew it would get a bit chilly. He usually sleeps with hardly anything on. It's just hot. 

This morning we woke up, it was cloudy and a cool 67 degrees. I felt a slight chill in the air, and it made me get goose bumps with excitement of fall and Christmas. It just felt so good.
Honestly, I had low expectations for this drop in weather, simply because when storms roll in like this, yes it drops the temp. But then the humidity is almost worse, so I wasn't expecting too much. My expectations were blown away! 

The kids and I spent every waking minute that we possibly could outside. It felt spectacular being able to just play outside without feeling like death was upon us. You think I am exaggerating, but it really sometimes feels like you could just die from the heat! 

As soon as we were up and at 'em, we were outside in the backyard playing to our hearts content. 

We played and played, had breakfast and then got ready for a walk to our little local park, down from our house. 

I packed us a lunch and I had planned on staying there until the littles were ready to head home. We played hard and we actually stayed a lot longer than I thought we would. Owen even managed to stay happy past his usual nap time because we stayed at the park too long. I think he was happy being able to just roam, and play! 

chomping away on lunch!

June even conquered a fear of hers today. She went down the steep slides! 

I even put Owen in pants today. Mostly because I think he's adorable in pants and Fall fashion suits our family rather well. And he's adorable. I tried getting June to wear more warmer clothes, but she awesomely dresses herself and there is no changing her mind once an ensemble is chosen. 

Owen who has no fear, went down the slides first try and loved it. He loves going fast and really anything that might cause him harm. He did leave the park with a pretty good size goose egg on his head. He said "Owe Mama" and then continued playing. 

I finally decided to be a mean mom and basically drag the kiddos from the park. It was getting way past nap time and I worried with the walk back we might miss our window. So we speed walked all the way home. Nap time is golden mommy time. I need nap time to survive the day. 

Once Owen woke up from his nap, we headed out to do a nature scavenger hunt. I printed off a checklist that I had found online and we went on our hunt. 

This was a heart bursting moment for a mother... June, (without being prompted) told Owen to hold her hand to cross the street so that he would be safe. It was too cute to not hurry and take a picture of June being such a big sister. I loved it. I mean I just really love them. Ps. I made sure no cars were even close when taking this picture ;) 

We found all our items except for a butterfly. 

Owen just kept asking for "ducks" or "Quack quacks" 

Chasing down bugs and trying to course them out of the cracks in the sidewalks. I love how they have no fear of bugs. From a mother who jumps on the tub and screams for Dan until he comes and kills the nasty creatures, or hurries and puts a cup over them until Dan does get home, I'm glad they aren't incredibly terrified! 

So the scavenger hunt was fun and we ended up playing the rest of the evening outside. I sadly dropped my phone on the cement and shattered the screen into little tiny pieces... I was sadly mortified and now more bugged that I have to go make a trip up to Apple at some point this weekend... 
BUT it did not ruin this splendid day of perfect weather. I can always fix my phone and there was no way it was going to ruin this day. I refused. 

Goodbye amazing weather. We are now sky rocketing back into the high 90's and 100's by the end of next week. 

Until we meet again.. hopefully in the next few months to come. I mean come on, help a pregnant lady out here! 

No comments: