Monday, March 7, 2016

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

You could say that we had quite the week. It been good and bad and ugly. So lets start at the beginning of the week with the bad. 

THE BAD: 
Owen started feeling sick Friday afternoon and at nap time he complained about his stomach hurting. I figured it was because the kid is terrified to poop and holds it in as long as possible, so I didn't really take into account that he could actually be sick. 

Friday night, or I guess early Saturday morning, he came wandering into our room. Dan got up to put him back to bed and smelled the awful smell all parents dread. Throw-up. Dan got Owen undressed and into the tub while I cleaned up his bed and the floor. We got Owen all clean, new sheets on the bed, a load of laundry started and then we went back to bed ourselves. 

Saturday, Owen was constantly throwing up and not wanting to drink or eat anything. Being in this same situation with him before,exactly one year ago, we were very watchful of him and looked for signs of dehydration. 

We spent our weekend like this. 


 At one point I had Owen on my lap and I was using my other leg to bounce Kate. Mom life. 

He had such a hard time falling asleep. After one throw-up episode he finally just crashed on our floor. We knew he had was having a hard time sleeping so we just left him there. 

Sunday he was getting a bit better. He was having somewhat of an appetite and drinking some fluids, though he would throw them up. Dan stayed home with him and June from church and I took Kate with me. I had church responsibilities that I needed to take care of. During third hour, I went to go feed Kate and my stomach started getting upset. I thought it was just because I skipped breakfast and was running low on sleep. 

I got home from church and felt so awful. I ended up throwing up a few times myself. I caught Owens bug. It was a long Sunday for us. 

Monday came and Dan went to work. I was feeling still pretty nauseous but enough that I could function. Owen wasn't drinking anything and was throwing up, so I ended up taking him to the doctor. She took one look at him and told us we needed to go to the hospital and get him some fluids. Sound familiar??!? A friend of mine had so graciously taken June and Kate for the morning so I could take Owen to the doctor. Since we were going to the hospital I needed to get Kate. My friend took June for the entire day. 
I tried calling Dan, but what adds to the awesomeness of all this, was that Dan's phone stopped working. I couldn't get a hold of him! 
No worries, I finally got a hold of him and he took Owen to the hospital while I ran to get Kate. I met them at the ER. We were there for so long, Dan was there even longer! I blogged about that whole situation earlier. 
The "bad" was awful and I hated seeing Owen feeling so bad and feeling so helpless. I am so grateful for Dan and all those who helped with June and brought us dinner and survival treats! Its so awesome having good people in our lives. 

Owen is now back to being Owen. He is feeling so much better and boy are we glad! 

THE GOOD: 
We were really looking forward to the upcoming weekend. We lost last weekend due to Owen being so sick, so we wanted to make sure and have a fun weekend with the kids. 
Friday morning I had my six week check-up with my doctor and obviously didn't want to have all three kids with me. I felt so bad because we have had our friends watch the kids so many times over the last month, that I just didn't have it in me to ask them to be watched again. So since it was on a Friday, Dan said they could come hangout with him at work! They loved it! They got to bring their i-pads and look at all the fun stuff daddy does when he's not home. June was sad that my appointment wasn't longer! Haha 

After my appointment We went and had lunch, then headed up to a Tulip Farm. It was really pretty and you could actually pick and take home the tulips. 

June and Owen got to pick some for their room 






Owen had just woken up from the drive and was a bit cranky. So he refused to look at the camera. But still... My little, not so little, family of five. 



June had her tulips wrapped and wouldn't put them down  

Then we played and ran until we were ready to head home 




 Saturday we headed up to Denton County to go explore different kinds of trucks. 

The first truck we explored was a firetruck. June felt very knowledgeable about this truck, because he class had just spent a week learning about community helpers and that included firemen and their trucks!




This picture makes my heart happy! I love them so. 

Painting one of the trucks 

An ice-cream truck was there that makes and serves their own homemade ice-cream. It was pretty good! 

Sitting in a semi-truck, though he was mad because we took his ice-cream away while he was up there. 


Life size operation 


The jeeps were the biggest hit. The kids played on them for a while. 





 We also explored a school bus. June cannot wait to ride a school bus! I don't know when that will happen, but she was pretty excited to see inside an actual bus where kids ride! And did you know that a school bus now has seat belts??! What?! 
And I adore this man. 

After the trucks we headed home and had some quite time. I went to go visit a friend who just had a baby, and little Kate seemed to not be feeling very well, so I left her home with daddy and the other two little hooligans. 
While I was at my friends house, Dan sent me this picture. With Kate not feeling well and not sleeping all that great I was happy to see her asleep in his arms. The crown only adds to the picture. 

Once I got home and everyone was up we went for a walk on our greenbelt. Walking with Owen can be challenging because the kid is just soooooo beyond slow, but when you aren't in a hurry it really helps you take a look around and see all the beautiful things around you. It's starting to become spring and it's so pretty! 

THE UGLY:
When we got home from our walk, we were outside in our front yard and I noticed that Kate had started picking up a nasty little cough. It wasn't very often but still noticeable. She also started to sound a bit stuffy as well. We watched her and went on with the rest of our day. We got the kids to bed and settled in for our Friday night at home. Kate's cough just continued to get worse and all night she was coughing pretty hard with a lot of congestion. Our alarm went off to get ready for church and I told Dan that I think we might want to call about Kate's cough. 
Our insurance has a 24/7 nurse line you can call, so I called them, explained the situation and they told me I needed to call my doctor right away. So I called Dr. Tomecko and she said get her into an Urgent Care as soon as you can. Dan took Owen and June to church and I took Kate to the Urgent Care. 
I talked to the doctor about her symptoms and they decided to do an RSV test. They told me if it was positive we would have to go to the hospital. It came back positive. I was told that I couldn't drive alone with her in the back in case she stopped breathing, so I could either call my husband or have an ambulance take us. Dan was close and I would much rather have him take us than an ambulance, plus we had an ambulance ride with Owen last year and we figured we could save ourselves $500.00 for a ride just up the road. 

Kate and I waited for Dan and the kids to come pick us up from the Urgent Care and take us to the hospital. Dan was close to home and we didn't know how long we would be in the hospital for, so he grabbed the kids i-pads and clothes to change into, since they were just getting home from church. 

We waited in the ER until our name was called. 

Really with RSV there isn't a whole lot they can do besides monitor her breathing. So there we sat for  hours and hours watching her heart be monitored. Her oxygen levels dropped a couple times but nothing they seem too worried about. I on the other hand was freaking out. So they monitored her some more. 

Dan took June and Owen home. When they walked out the door my heart sank and I suddenly felt scared. Dan is my rock through things like this and I missed him terribly. I had to officially be the grown up and I worried myself sick.

After a very long day we were able to go home with very specific instructions on monitoring Kate and what we needed to do for RSV. Just so much watching!! 

After getting home we just constantly watched her through the night. We have gotten very little sleep and still worry over every sound she is making. 

I cannot wait for all my little ones to be all healthy! We are so over being sick! 


There you have it. The good, the bad and the ugly. 







No comments: