Saturday, April 16, 2016

Spring Break Colorado

I've realized that we go to Colorado a lot and I can't keep titling every trip to Colorado, "Colorado". So, this trip is "Spring Break Colorado". It wasn't really our spring break, but it was my sister's girls' spring break. That is kind of what started this whole trip to Colorado in the first place. 

It was a lot of fun. At first I was a bit nervous of driving that far with three kiddos, but I don't shy away from a challenge! I almost thrive on the scariness of it. I don't know, it's weird. I knew that June and Owen would be easy enough. Technology people! It's all about the games and shows on the iPads. Though I do also pack a bag full of coloring stuff and fun things to do. Just so their brains don't fry! But a two month old is a whole other story. Who knows how she was going to behave! 

Dan helped me load up the car before he headed to work and then we were on the road. I was worried about little Kate so we decided it would be best to do the drive in two days. 

On the road! 
 

The last time I did the drive, I planned that every two hours I would stop. I thought I would have to do the same with Kate, but she literally slept the entire ride! So I continued on until it became lunch time. Since the plans changed, I thought we would only need to stop once! We stopped for lunch and stretched our legs for about an hour. 


We pulled into Salina Kansas around five. We made great time! Kate was so happy to get out and stretch her legs in the hotel! I think we were all happy to be out of the car! 

We unpacked our bags and then headed to the park to play and burn some energy! We spent a couple of hours there playing and running around.

That night we ordered pizza, took hot baths and snuggled into our hotel room. My kids love hotels. I think it's because they get to jump from bed to bed. As a kid, I loved hotels too. It was so much fun and such a change. Plus you get to stay up super late. 

The next morning, we woke up, the kiddos watched cartoon and ate breakfast and then it was time to hit the road. 

I sent this picture to my mom to let her know she was coming her way!! Guys, for reals, I have the happiest baby ever! 

Our load. I try to always plan to not bring so much stuff into the hotel with me, but I fail every time. It does help that June is now old enough to help me carry things. 

The first half hour of the drive I was talking to my sister Megan, and completely missed my exit onto I-70 from 135. I thankfully caught it. And Dan tracks me on his phone so he knows where I am, and he texted me saying "Les, where ya goin?!" hahaha 
That cost us about 45 minutes, which was super lame. 

We got on the right road and we were on our way. 

Our stop half way is in a town called Colby. It's MY FAVORITE stop! This stop has a playground, lots of restaurants and a gas station all built into one area. So we can get out of the car and get everything we need all in one stop! It's so nice! 

Kate enjoying some stretch time on the grass while the kids play on the playground. 

Before we knew it, we arrived safe and sound at Nana and Papas house with open arms! 

I know that the mission home isn't quite "home" but it really has been transformed into feeling more like home over the past 20 months. 
My mom couldn't get that baby Kate in her arms fast enough! Nana and Kate have a special connection. 

Papa meeting Kate for the first time. Kate is the 15th grandchild on my side of the family. I like it because 15 is my lucky/favorite number. And how sweet is this picture!? I mean come on! 

We got settled into the house, chatted with the folks and called it a night. 

The next day we woke up casually, which meant a 5:45am wake up call for Owen. (6:45 Texas time). My mom was so awesome and woke up with him and played downstairs so that I could sleep. 
It was amazing to sleep in!

Once We all woke up, we got ready for the day, played at the house and then went to a park. 

This park had this huge swing! It was a lot of fun!

It was windy that day, so my mom took it upon herself to protect Kate from the wind. 




We went home and had some down/nap time for a bit. It was a good lazy afternoon while my parents caught up on some missionary business.

That night we went to go feed the ducks and play at a different park. I just stayed back and let the kiddos enjoy some grams and gramps time. 


My dad needed a file exported on his laptop so I was showing him how, but it was on a PC. I haven't worked on a PC in years. Like lots of years. Since before college. So it was really throwing me off! I seriously could not get over it. I'm an Apple Gal, through and through. 

Bedtime stories while we waited for my sister, Michelle to arrive. 

We were so happy when the girls arrived! Now the real party could begin!
Sage and Kate

We were so happy to have everyone there that we ended up not going to bed until late that night. We are all just like my mom. Such night owls!

The next morning, June was acting a bit grumpy. I figured it was just the lack of sleep and the time change. She was watching her iPad, and I asked her to turn it off. Sh then asked if she could just lay on the couch for a while. I of course said yes. When I came downstairs after getting ready she was asleep on the couch and was running a fever. Not what we wanted! We just got there.

My dad came home from a church meeting and gave her a blessing. It was a good blessing. I just felt it so strongly. I don't know how to explain it. It really was just good.

Later that day, she started perking up and never looked back. She just felt better. 
My dad let us ladies sneak away for a few hours and let us go shopping. It's been a really long time since I've shopped for me, so it was fun getting out and going to grownup stores. Plus grabbing a Coke and a treat with my sister and mom! 

My Dad sent us this picture. They were playing a game that has boogers involved. The girls had them shoved up their noses! Hahaha. OD was sleeping at the time. 

We got home and chilled with the fam for a bit.
My mom keeping Kate content. 

Later that evening we went out in the back yard to play. We drew a sidewalk City for all of Owens cars. 
My mom gave June a trim, which she desperately needed! 

And we taught the girls the real way to play hopscotch. 

Owen thought he was playing, but really he was just running up and down and throwing his rock. Man he is such a boy!


My mom got the girls matching pajamas 


Owen got new pajamas too, but he is so obsessed with his Christmas PJ's that he wouldn't put his new ones on. He also has floss hanging from his mouth. This kid. I seriously don't know where he came from. Haha 

The next morning we woke up and got ready to head out and shopping for their special surprises.
Reese and Kate. 

My Dad got home from more missionary business and took the rest of the day to hangout with us ladies and of course OD. He even got the missionary van so we could all go together.
June was pretty excited to be sitting in a booster seat. She isn't quite heavy enough yet, but for a quick travel it worked. She loved it! Of course Kit needed to be buckled in as well. 


We all had lunch at Cheesecake Factory. They had little booster chairs for the girls' dolls. It was so cute! 

After lunch, we finally made it to the American Girl Doll Store. The girls had been waiting so long and patiently to go. They weren't too thrilled to find out we were having lunch before going there. It was so fun taking June in there with her doll. 

June looks at the AGD Magazines all the time. She loves when they come in the mail. She had wanted a little toy popcorn machine that was in one of the catalogs. We told her she could have it if she earned it. So for the past few months she has been doing extra chores around the house to earn money. Nothing big, but anything "extra" she would receive a quarter or more. Depending on the chore. She earned every cent! She worked so hard and picked up a lot of dog poop (gloved and supervised) and emptied a lot of dishwashers for that money. So when the day finally came, she was able to go pick herself out a popcorn machine and an outfit for her doll. She was so proud of herself and I was really proud of her too. 






We spent a lot of time in that store! It's just so fun!! 

They would just randomly hold hands 

The girls with their dolls and their loot. 

Owen and my dad were troopers. They spent a lot of time out by the water fountains. 

They were buds all week long. Surrounded by all these girls! We missed our other boy cousins. 




It was Owen's turn to go shopping. We headed straight to the lego store. So Owen was so funny about this red giant lego. He loved it. I asked if he wanted a picture in front of it, he said no and ran away. Then as I was walking out of the store, he got all upset and said he wanted a picture! So I pull out my phone to take one and this is the face he gives me. Like I'm forcing him to take this picture!! This was NOT the case. I mean I just don't have words for this kid. 

He then was happy going off and playing with legos 

June desperately wants her ears pierced, but we told her when she turns five she can then choose to get them pierced. So we got these little magnetic earrings for her to wear and sticker earrings. She now wants her ears pierced even more!! Six more months pretty lady. I sent Dan this picture to see if he would fall for the fake piercing... He didn't. Haha 

We then did a little more shopping, Owen had a HUGE tantrum in the mall, which was super awesome... said no mom ever! It was the worst, but he got through it and we moved on. 

We got home and just stayed in and played games and ate snacks and enjoyed the night together. 
I sent this to Dan to say good night! Dan was aching for this little lady. He said that he can talk to the other two on FaceTime, but Kate is a whole other story. He missed her so much!

Playing games on the iPads 


We wore them out! Kate was OUT COLD in his arms. Her mouth open and all. It was so cute! 

The next morning, we woke up and headed to the rec center to go swimming. Their rec. center is so amazingly nice! I wish we had something like that here in Texas. 
Owen going down the slide. 

And June. She took it more like a champ! Hahaha 


The crew. Owen was sitting behind my mom eating his cheetos. He wanted nothing to do with pictures or swimming. Just his cheetos 



My kids are more into the food than swimming 

After swimming we played at the play place and game center for a bit 

All getting into the Van

And Owen with his floss. He just really loves floss. 

Later that night we headed back to the park we were at the first day. 
Look how handsome he is! Those dimples!! SWOON! 


These two are kind of the coolest!

Back on the swing! It was just so much fun! 

This was the best group shot we could get! 


My sister and I were able to go on a ride around the park 

That night we got the kids calmed down, then we got Cafe Rio and played games for our last night there.

Before we knew it, it was time to pack up and say goodbye. It was such a fun week for these girls. I wish we lived closer to family. 

Saying goodbye


Then we were on the road! 
Half way and stretching our bodies! 

We got to our hotel and mostly just spent the rest of the night playing in the hotel room. We all went to bed early and ready to get home the next day. 

The next day we ended up stopping twice. We stopped every two hours. I think I prefer just stopping once for an hour instead of twice for a half hour. But Kate was ready to be done, June refused to get out of the car when we stopped and Owen was just Owen. We were tired and ready to be home. 

I took this right after feeding and burping Kate. Our last stop and only a couple hours away from Daddy. We wanted to get home so bad! 

Thank goodness for iPads! 

We hit a pretty heavy rainstorm with about a half hour left in our drive. It left behind a full rainbow. It was pretty. 

Then we were home. We had quite the welcome home waiting for us. When I opened the garage this is what was waiting for us. Dan got the kids all new swim wear and towels. PLUS a the bench that HE MADE!!! That deserves a blog post on it's own, so more about that bench later! 

The house was spotless and so welcoming! I love Dan for that! So great walking into a clean cozy house! 
We had a fantastic time in Colorado. The drive went so well that I would do it again in a heartbeat. And really it's only 12 hours, so nothing too crazy! 
Can't wait for the next trip! 

No comments: