Monday, November 28, 2016

Thanksgiving Break

Thanksgiving was low key and super chill this year. It felt great and I'll totally be honest with you, I was soooo ready for Thanksgiving come, and be gone. I've always been so good about keeping Thanksgiving about Thanksgiving, but man oh man I have just got the Christmas bug this year and could hardly contain myself for Christmas things. I even broke my own rule and listened to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. My bad. 

We really had a great Thanksgiving. We celebrated with friends the previous week since they were either going to be gone or with family so we had a huge turkey dinner with them. Then we had another Thanksgiving feast, and Dan had one at work. So at this point we were so done with Turkey and Thanksgiving food. 

Over the break the kids didn't have school we mostly stayed home because Kate got so incredibly sick, but we enjoyed just saying in and not have any plans. 

My sister Brooke totally came through for us and mailed us some homemade dill beans. We grew up on these things at my grandma Mendenhall's house. We loved eating them! It's so fun passing on these stories and traditions now with my little ones. Thanks so much Brooke!! 
We sent this to my sister letting her know the beans arrived safe and sound! No breaking! 

Another BIG tradition we had growing up is pinwheel. It's been in the Mendenhall family for multiple generations. It's not a Mendenhall Thanksgiving without pinwheel! I truly love passing these traditions on to my children. It brought a little piece of home into our home. 

Her first official pinwheel made

 The night before Thanksgiving Dan and I were literally up all night (again) with Kate. She was so so sick. At this point we moved June into our bed and I slept in June's bed. Well actually I "slept" in that rocking chair so Kate could sleep sitting up. 

The next morning Dan and I ran 5K's and it was a BEAUTIFUL day! I had to take a picture. It was such a great run. 

We got ready for Thanksgiving. I didn't take any pictures of dinner, but I did get a picture of Owen sneaking M&M's! 

After we let our food digest for a bit, we then went to walk the trails to our park. 




We spent the rest of the afternoon outside. The weather was amazing!! 


We came home, watched football, looked through Black Friday ad's and spent time together. 

I could now officially say it was time for Christmas!! I'm just so excited and ready for this Holiday! 
June and Dan plugging in the lights outside!

So I hung the Christmas lights this year as a surprise for Dan. He was planning on doing them one Saturday but fell asleep on the couch, so I really wanted to surprise him! He eventually woke up and came outside, so it wasn't a full surprise but he was thrilled to not have to do it! I actually didn't mind. EXCEPT I missed a section of the house! HAHAHAHA See at the top where a section isn't covered in lights! Oh man! That was all me! Next year we will be in our new house and we both agreed it would be best to just hire someone. hahaha But with that said, look how straight those bulbs are!! That was all me baby! 

The next day we got up and went Christmas shopping with all the sales. It was fun and the kids actually did pretty good! We shopped got lunch, shopped some more and headed home for some much needed rest. 

That night we headed out to get our Christmas tree! 

Little Kate's first Christmas Tree hunt. She still is pretty sick so we tried to keep it quick. Thankfully the weather has been warm. 



June loves helping tie the tree on the roof! 

I managed a small first pony tail in Kate's hair! OH MY WORD!!! HEART MELTER! 

We spent the rest of the weekend relaxing. June asked me to take a picture of her with her dolls. 

We also had to take them to Costco with us. 

Decorating the house!

Every year my mom has sent me a new piece to the Demdaco Nativity for my birthday. This year it finally became complete! How fitting that it all came together for my 30th birthday. I love it!! 

Decorating the Tree 


Putting the star up! June asked constantly if she could do it this year. She was excited about it! 

And there you have it! So our Thanksgiving transitioned into Christmas pretty quick but I was just too excited to wait this year!! 
Let the festivities begin!!! 



No comments: