Sunday, October 16, 2016

Scout Campout

This past weekend I went to my first scout campout. As a Primary President (did I ever mention on our blog that I'm the Primary President for our ward? Well, I am. Ha) I was invited to be a guest to the stake scout campout. 
I will be honest, I was a little reluctant and first. I have SO SO SO SO MUCH on my plate right now and this just added to it. So I sort of had a bad attitude going into it. 

 I got to wear my super awesome scout shirt for the first time. I'm pretty sure Dan was the most excited about me getting to wear a scout shirt, even though he isn't the biggest fan of scouts. 

My friend is the Primary President in her ward so we rode together and I was so thankful for her! She filled me in on all that would happen and what to expect with this type of thing. 

When we got to the campsite we went our separate ways to our different troops. 
The boys were setting up their tents and getting ready to make dinner. I was told that I am their guest and couldn't help with anything that the boys could do themselves. It actually was pretty fun to watch such young boys spring into action and take charge. And they totally did! They did everything! 

The trees where we were at were so cool with the sky. I tried capturing it but couldn't do it justice. I love nature. 

We had dinner, sat around and talked for a while and then we joined with the other troops to have the Scout flag presentation and the program that was prepared for us. 

The boys starting their fire. 

The program was really cool to watch. I am so incredibly new to the scouting program. I knew nothing going into this calling. The first two weeks were learning what the scouting program even was. I can't believe how huge this organization is! It is amazing the time and effort that goes into scouting. It's been such a great learning experience. A weird, hard and great learning experience. 

By the end of the night I was having such a great time. The boys were so cool to hangout with and pretty funny. Maybe it's just because I'm still such a kid at heart, but I thought they were so hilarious. 
I was proud to be apart of this troop. To be their guest. The other ward that is combined with our troop were super nice. Their primary president didn't show up, so they treated me like I was theirs. 

I learned a lot that night, and I even texted Dan telling him how weird it was that I was having such a good time. I don't know if it was the nature all around us, the glowing campfire or just so much excitement from the boys but it ended up being awesome. 


My calling is hard. It has so many challenges and responsibility, that unless you have been in this position before, you can't even imagine what you have to deal with. But I truly do love it. It challenges me, it pushes me to be better, to use my time more efficiently and to turn to my Heavenly Father for help and guidance.  

I was glad to walk away from this with a better attitude and better knowledge about the scouting program! 

Thanks Unit 588! 


No comments: