Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"Sing a Song of Mother Goose"

We just got June the book "Sing a Song of Mother Goose". I love reading to June and the Mother Goose rhymes are classics so I thought it would be a great book to get.
So I sit down with June this afternoon to read it to her and we read all about Jack and Jill, Hey Diddle, Diddle, so on and so forth. We get to "Lady Bug". Now I have never heard of this nursery Rhyme but as I read it, I chuckle and realized what this poem is saying!

Here is the poem:
Lady bug, Lady bug, fly away home!
Your house is on fire,
Your children all gone; All but one,
and her name is Ann, And she crept under the pudding pan.

The picture shows a mother lady bug holding her baby all covered in ash from the fire of their house!?!?
REALLY!?!?
Ha Ha this is what I am reading to my child... about a little baby that gets trapped in a fire so she has to hide under a pudding pan to save her life?
And what was the mom doing leaving her children, obviously they were too young to be left alone.. Hello they started a fire and left the baby to save themselves!!
I know I know its all for fun, but I was just baffled by this story in this children's book. We do continue to read it, but I do laugh every time I read this rhyme to June.
Just thought I would give you all something obviously very deep to think about. :)

1 comment:

Zach and Sara said...

This remind me of a post I made when Kenleigh was a baby. I was singing rock a by baby to her and the words punched me right in the face. "When the bow breaks the cradle will fall and down will come cradle, baby and all." I changed the words so I can sing it without giving her nightmares. I'll never go back to the real way!