Sunday, July 6, 2014

AMERICA DAY!!

It's no secret that I really love this holiday. I love what this day represents, I love that we get to focus on those who have sacrificed so much for our freedom, and I love the festivities that happen all. day. long. 

It's a set your alarm early in the morning to get ready for breakfasts and  parades and drag yourself to bed late that night after the fireworks kind of day. Yes. It's worth it. 

The morning of the 4th we had a Ward breakfast at the Mary Head Carter park. One of our favorites. We had fun eating, getting to know more people, and letting the kids play. 

We were a little bummed that we missed a parade this year. But the breakfast was still fun and June got to be in the little kids parade... which meant that daddy got to be in it too. 




Looking at the fish and turtles 

After the breakfast, we helped clean up and then headed home to get ready for our friends to come over. We mostly had everything set up and ready to go, so we let the kids have some down/nap time before people showed up.

Range being my little helper

We had a little pool shin dig with some of our friends. We really have been blessed with such great friends here in Texas. They are our family and we love them all dearly. The Moreno's smoked meat all night and it was soooo good. The food that family can make is outstanding! 
Everyone brought fruit, salads, desserts and little treats for us all to eat. It was a delicious 4th of July feast! 

We had fun swimming, jumping off the diving board and just talking the afternoon away. 

It was a hot day! The little kids pool water was too warm, so Dan kept putting ice in there to cool it down and the kids were loving playing with it. 


Even Range got some 

A little storm blew in after a couple hours, which turned swimming in the pool a little chilly, so we hopped out and headed out back to play with little popper fireworks. 
In Texas it is illegal to shoot any real fireworks, which is kind of lame. No, not just kind of lame, really lame! Not even sparklers?!? Bogus! 
The kids had fun though, throwing the poppers and shooting off the little string pull confetti shooters. 




I'm not really sure what Owen's face is doing here, but it's my favorite. hahaha I can't even remember what he was looking at, but the longer I look at the harder I laugh. It's just awesome. 

Things started slowing down a bit, so we all decided to get all cleaned up, showered and head over to the park for the firework show. We hung out down by the lake for a couple hours before the firework show started. It turned out to be such a beautiful night and not too hot at all!








June really liked the firework show at first, but boom after boom it got to be a little much for her... 

So she plugged her ears and buried her head into me until it was over. They really scared her. 

And OD fell asleep half way through the show. So really none of our kids enjoyed it this year, but we did! I love the fireworks and definitely glad we went

It was a great 4th. I am very grateful to be an American. I very much take it for granted and I really need to do better to remember how much was given so that I could have this day to be with my family. I am thankful to those who serve so willingly to keep our freedom and to make sure our Country stays free. 
Happy Independence Day America! 

No comments: