Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Canada Day with my Canadians!

Really, I get it, Our two Countries are very similar, but they are two DIFFERENT Countries and it is so much fun being able to celebrate two Independence Days... Not everyone get's to do that, so of course we take advantage of having a reason to celebrate! 
Dan hasn't lived in Calgary for 10 years now, due to his serving an LDS mission in Hawaii, then going to school down in the states, followed by marrying an American, who would like to stay in the United States. So he really takes one for the team and doesn't get much Canadian-ness. I do my best to keep him Canadian, living in the United States. As much as he says it's ok, I know deep down he misses Canada, and he is VERY proud to be a Canadian... and for those of you who know... well you know just how proud he is. Ya, you know what I'm talking about.

It also makes my children even more super Awesome for having duel citizenship in Canada and America. Live where you want my babies, you've got the rights! Well as long as you choose Canada or The United States. 

July 1st is Canada's Independence Day. I don't go all out, but of course we do little fun things throughout the day to Remember Canada as much as we can.
The kids and I made Canada flag T-shirts with their little hands representing the Maple leaf in the middle. It went a lot smoother than I thought it would, and Owen did great straightening out his hand just at the right moment. 

We swam in the morning with friends... which weirdly I didn't get any pictures of. I know, I'm shocked myself! 

After lunch and quiet time we went out and got red sno- shacks! Owen Got his first taste of the pure sugar poured on ice, and he LOVED it. But who wouldn't?! We are almost at a free son-shack from our punch card! Can't wait for that day!



Once we got home, we went swimming again and played in the backyard until daddy got home from work. We swam with him for a little while and then got ready for dinner 

I attempted to make everything red. No. It always turns out pink, but A+ for effort right?!
We had Chicken and Waffles with organic Maple syrup for the Maple purpose of Canada. It was awful. We ended up not eating it because it was WAY TOO SWEET!  So 8 bucks later we have a lovely bottle of organic Maple syrup which will be used probably for cooking, because that is all it can be used for. 

The chicken and waffle thing is more of a southern treat, but goes so well together, that  I thought I would do something a little extra. 




After dinner we went out front and threw some poppers and little fireworks just to really celebrate. 


It was a simple but fun little celebration. I really love my Canadian family!

No comments: