Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Their Room

It has been so fun and frustrating and a lot more work than I thought getting my two babes into the same room. It took a lot longer than I would have liked it to take, but with being pregnant and how tired I get doing large projects like this, it took pretty much a whole week. The non-pregnant Lesli would have had this done in a day. So it frustrated me a little bit with how slow it went. BUT IT'S DONE! 
I admit that because I wanted to get this room done so badly and everything took longer than planned I was a bit of a mediocre mom this past week... For reals though. Way to much TV and iPad time, and let the kids destroy the house as long as they stayed out of my way. We made them go on countless trips to Target and Ikea to get or return things and basically they hung out in their undies and diapers all week. Not my proudest moment as a mom, but I REALLY wanted to get them in the same room! Sorry babes, I love you! (Enter mom guilt!) My bad. 

Lets move on though and get to the good stuff. The kids are in the same room! It has been going shockingly smooth. Our first night took a bit longer to get them settled down and June did come out and tell us Owen was being to loud. To be fair, she did have her lamp on, so it's not like he could sleep with a bright light. Haha. But We seemed to have worked out all the kinks for now... 

June moved into Owens room. It's the bigger room, and it also means we can leave the paint in June's old room for baby girl. 
So our first step was to paint over all the blue and get it to be a gender neutral color. We saved some time by painting the gray that was already on the two walls. Oh and a shout out to Dan, who is such a trooper. I tend to just go and buy paint and just start painting walls. He just picks up a paint brush and  starts helping, even if he had no intentions of painting a room that night. He even taped all of the kids room. He isn't the biggest fan of painting projects, but he's so awesome to help me!! 

The kids had fun helping us paint and also giving me a heart attack by dripping paint everywhere! 


Once we got the room painted it was time to get the two rooms cleaned out. I thought it wouldn't take me that long to go through the kids closest's, but half our crap we own is in those closets and it ended up taking me pretty much all day Monday, getting everything cleaned out. It felt so good to get rid of so much junk and stuff I didn't even know we had stashed away, but it took so long and I was so physically beat. 
SUCH A MESS! 

Once all closets were cleaned out and beds were put into proper places we called it a night and decided to let the kids sleep in the same room for the first night. (Monday night) 

The next few days were pretty chaotic. With all the running around I had to do, and plus our regular life activities it was a CRAZY WEEK! It really wore me down, and that bugged me. Dan and I made a trip to Ikea and then back to Ikea and then back to Ikea again. Haha 

One morning after dropping June off at school, I came back home and built some furniture. I had the best helping buddy! 

He was a trooper all week! 

After getting everything out that would be moved into her new room, June walked into her old room and got a little confused and sad. She started to cry. She definitely has her mama's sensitive heart. We talked about it for a little bit and got her jazzed up about her new room. It broke my heart a little bit too. Change is hard and it's hard watching it through your little one's eyes... The struggle is real. 

And then of course the tears came when we put out the rocking chair. The chair that rocked my two kids to sleep countless times. The chair I slept in a lot of nights with an upset baby and toddler and just lots of reading, feedings and so so so many snuggles and cuddles. It always hurts my heart a little bit to let go of things like this, but it was definitely time to get rid of it. One arm was broken, it was worn down to the core, and we just desperately need a new one for baby girl. 

After a week of labor and lots of work the room is done! Well as much as it can be for now. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. We decided to keep Owen in a crib for a little bit longer. Hopefully the beginning of November we are going to attempt it. I just didn't feel he was ready yet and plus we have a lot of excitement this month, so we felt it best to let the little monster have his sleep and we will get to the bed when we get to it. I know it's going to be a struggle with him... 
Right now the desk and book a little off center, but we made the room how it would be with two beds in there. The crib is so temporary that I didn't want to have to re-hang and arrange a bunch of things. It was much easier this way. 

Owen's Side 

June's Side 

The wall where Owen's crib used to be. Now a collection of some of my favorite pictures of the kids. 

I love night time. Growing up my mom always had such a cozy home at night with candles that made the house always smell so good and lamps to make it lit enough, but just warm and comfortable. I try to carry that on through my house and that includes bedrooms as well. June and Owen are wrestling on June's bed. Of course. 

I made them stop to take a picture in their Halloween PJ's. Doesn't Owen look so much bigger than June?! They were good sports to stop their fun for me to snap a picture. 

But then it was back to body slams and wrestling. Story of their lives! 

I am so happy that this project is checked off the to-do list. Baby girl's room is still a disaster and I have a lot to do in there, but for now it just remains a room with baby stuff scattered all over. 

The next step is to get Owen in a big boy bed. It's going to be a challenge but a necessary one. I refuse to have  a new born and also transitioning a toddler into a bed. So the goal is to have him in his bed and comfortably sleeping before Thanksgiving! We will see... 

As for now both kids are sleeping great (Well as good as they normally sleep) and no major upsets yet! 







No comments: