Monday, February 24, 2014

Owen at 4 Months


Dear Owen, 

     4 months old, but it feels like you have been apart of our family forever. I can't even remember what it was like to not have you in our home, and I like it. You bring so much happiness into our lives, and you and your sister just sit and giggle back and forth to each other, that I can't help but chuckle at the both of you.

    You are such a big boy. You have outgrown the majority of all your 1-3mo clothes are are starting wear 6 month size. You are wearing a size 3 diaper already and we haven't even hit the 6 month mark yet. You love to eat, eat, eat. I am hoping that I can start you on rice cereal soon, simply because I don't think I will be able to keep up with you for too much longer, but we will find out at your appointment what your doctor recommends. For now, you seem to be content eating every 3-4 hours and lately its been every 2. I think it's just because you are going through some growth spurts. 

    Sleeping is getting much better, and you are slowly catching on to this whole "all night long" thing. I am still getting up with you once a night and then you get up around 7, but go right back down for a morning nap until about 9. Every once in a while you go all night, but it's still a work in progress. Your sleeping schedule is getting much easier and much more predictable, which helps plan out our day a bit better. I am trying to make it so you don't have to sleep in your car seat as much, and realize that you sleep much better in your crib, than being flung around in a car seat. 

       I love giving you baths. You are so calm, even with your sister trying to help clean off all the soap, or scrub your head. You love to kick the moment your toes hit the water, and then you slowly start letting them float and you just lay there with such a happy grin on your face. You really love your baths. 

       You do very well with tummy time and mostly hold up your neck when we are holding you. You are getting very good at controlling your head movement and also learning to grab things with your hands, including your toes. You love your toes! You hate not being able to let go of a toy once you have grabbed it though. You get really frustrated after a while, and I haven't released it from your hands. Don't worry, you will soon learn to let go. You are ridiculously close to rolling over, that it's driving me a little crazy, you sit and balance on your side, and all you need is a tiny bit of momentum and you would have it. In fact, I think it's probably harder to balance on your side like you do than it would be just to roll over ,but you seem to be comfy on your side, and that's ok. Though I sometimes can't stand it and give you a little nudge just to get you to your tummy. 

       Your hands have become your soothing tool. You also love to suck on your blankets or your bear. I had to stop swaddling you, first of all because you started throwing a fit when swaddled, but second of all because you got loose, and then would push the blanket up to your mouth and start sucking on it. It made me panic walking into your room and seeing the blanket around your neck, so no more of that! You seem pretty content with your hands though, and you once again refuse to take a pacifier. We haven't really needed it all that much, so I guess its one less habit to break when you are older. 

     Bottles have become your friend, and you haven't had a problem taking one, once we found the right kind. You still prefer me, but at least you are willing to take a bottle and we don't feel like we are forcing you to drink it. 

       You love to be held, and hate to be left alone. I can't leave a room without a few screams, but I must admit that when I do leave a room and June is in there with you, she is quick to come comfort you by rubbing your head and sing twinkle twinkle little star and it melts me to my core. Oh you two will just be the best of friends, I know it! You are calmed by her. You don't scream when I leave, but you see her. You know her and it's one of my favorite things. You really do love to be held and would rather be held all day. You make me get creative on how to get things done around the house with you and wanting to be attached to my hip all day. 

     All in all Owen, you are a light in my life. You fit right into our family and I see more and more of that every day. I love you from the bottom of my heart, and you have no idea how much you always put a smile on my face, even on bad days. You continue to be such a good baby and I can't believe how blessed I am to have you in my life, and to call you my son!

Happy 4 months baby boy!!

             Love, Mom







No comments: