Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Locked

Let me first start off by saying that our house has some quirks about it, that we didn't really realize until living the house, now for a couple of years. One of those things is that we have key locks on some of our doors. 

This morning we were planning our usual outing to our library for story/singing time at 10:15. I asked June to go into the bathroom so she could go potty while I got her clothes that she would wear that day. She had shut the bathroom door, which is a small defeat on its own. You see, her bathroom door is one of those quirks in our house. In that you have to push hard to shut it. The door wedges really really tight and you have to give a little nudge to get in. She also manages to lock it. Again, it's a hard lock because it's one you have to turn on its own and WILL NOT unlock just by turning the door handle. 

Here is where things get interesting! 

Remember that part of how it's a "key lock" door? Yes, it was a bit of a panic moment when I saw that I couldn't just grab a Bobbi pin and pick it.

For about 15 minutes, I tried and tried over and over again to get little June bug to turn the lock the other way. She tried to keep turning the door, but not the lock. I knew I was going to have to break in through on my side of the door. 
Dan is out of town this week so I couldn't get his help. I tried my house key, but that didn't unlock it, and that's when I had a bit of a panic moment. June and I said a little prayer to help us stay calm and to have help on what we should do. I love when she helps me say prayers! 

I texted my family for help or suggestions... 
 My sister Brooke called, recommended a few things for me to try, and helped me remain calm for June's sake. My fam also suggested credit cards to slide through, but our awesome door is wedged way to tight to get a card through.... 

I called my dad and he suggested taking the door jam off to see if I could break in that way. I grabbed a butter knife and hammer, but couldn't NOT pry it off. I was trying so hard not to cry as I could hear little Juney on the other side saying "Mommy I miss you so much, mommy please, I want you, mommy I miss you." 

I couldn't break in. I couldn't do anything.

 My dad said to call a lock smith or your local police. 
I made a call to a lock smith and no answer... I didn't want to have to keep looking up numbers so I decided to call our police station. I have the Carrollton police station in my phone so I thought I would just casually call them, not 911 since this wasn't a crazy emergency. I get through and explain the situation, immediately the police officer transfers me to 911.... This is our conversation. 

911: What is your emergency? 

Me: uh... I called the local police station and they sent me here. It's not really an emergency.

911: Ok, is there a problem? 

Me: Well my two year old is locked in the bathroom and I can't get her out... 
(She must think I'm such an idiot for not being able to unlock it, but you just don't understand!!) 

911: alright, what is your address I will dispatch the fire department to come see what they can do. 

Me: are you sure you want to send them? 

911: Yes ma'am. I'm sure. They will be able to help. 

Me: Ok, thanks. Have a good day. Bye


So I continued to sit by the door and hold June's hand. We sang "I am a Child of God" over and over again...
She kept saying "mommy no more hold hands, I hold your face, please... I hold your face!" I started crying, then she started crying. I had to suck it up and be brave for her. 

My sister Michelle said to put some things under the door, like books, coloring books and crayons... It helped. I put her counting book through the door and we counted to 10 over and over again. She got up to 15 at one point! Such a smart little thing. She gets that from her daddy. The locking herself in the bathroom part and not able to get out... She gets that from me. 

So I continued to hold her hand. At this point we are about an hour in to being locked in the bathroom. 

Then this rolls up to my house.

I wasn't expecting a huge fire truck! Three men got out and came to the door. June was crying because I had to answer it and leave her hand. I explained the situation to them and they got to work. I sat there and just kept holding her hand. Owen was in our room just babbling away, happy as can be! Such my good little babe! 

These fire fighters were AMAZING!! They were so calm with me and June. They kept asking her questions as they worked. They kept talking to each other, suggesting all these different crazy weird tool names and I thought at one point, one of those tools was going to break down the door all together! 

They worked on it for about 15-20 minutes. 

They ended up prying off the section of the door my dad told me to do, but I couldn't get it. Then they used their nifty awesome fireman tools to cut the lock right of the door. Good bye door handle.

I was so beyond grateful to those firemen!! I know it was something so incredibly small, but they were so nice about it and they didn't make me feel dumb at all! I kept thanking them and apologizing all at the same time, just because I was so grateful and felt so dumb all at the same time. 

They talked to June for just a bit longer, and gave her a firefighter badge sticker. She kept saying "Firefighters saved me" "the door locked me in" the firefighters open it" I think she was just as happy to be out of there as much as I was to have her out!


They managed to fix the door frame up a bit, but some damage was still done where they had to pry off the frame and where they cut the lock! 

I was texting Dan thorough this process, and he snuck out of his meeting once she got out to check on us. When I was telling him the story we were both laughing so hard! Why does this kind of thing happen to us?! I mean of all the rooms to lock herself into, she chose the one that has a key lock, and no window or any other access to the room. 
In the end she is out and safe. I love firefighters even more now and am so thankful that they could help with such a small problem, but huge to me! 

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Thanks for sharing, it's such an awful feeling to be helpless with your children. I'm glad it all worked out in the end. Poor little June, she was so brave. Hugs to you all!